ABET Accredited Online BS ME Degree? Searching with No Results

• Programs
  • Thread starter MadMike1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: I think this is something to consider if you are looking to do the full online program. I'm sorry to say that Purdue does not offer this type of program.
MadMike1986
Is there such a thing as an ABET accredited online Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree? I've been searching for weeks and have found nothing. For some reason there are a few online EE degrees but no ME degrees to be found. If anyone knows of any please let me know. I want to finish my ME degree without leaving home. Must be mechanical Engineering not Technology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Purdue offers an online ME Masters degree but no Bachelors. What gives?

MadMike1986 said:
sorry meant to post this in the academic guidance forums

I'll respond...just so ypu're not talking to yourself.

MadMike1986 said:
Purdue offers an online ME Masters degree but no Bachelors. What gives?
I imagine that Purdue faculty would prefer to have undergraduate students on campus and their education under direct supervision of the faculty. Classwork interaction is another factor.

Someone qualifying for ME or MS would ostensibly have an undergraduate degree, and hence would be more inclined to successfully complete an ME/MS without direct supervision.

Thanks Astronuc that makes sense for Purdue or any othe major university. You'd think there would be online colleges willing to fill this huge gap though. I've found EE undergrad degrees but no ME ones. Is there really that big of a difference? Too bad ABET doesn't just grant degrees to individuals who can demonstrate all their requirements.

I don't think you could possibly get the labs you would need if you were to try to do it at home. I'm thinking of a mechanics of materials lab, thermo lab, fluid mechanics lab, etc. Most homes just are not set up to handle this sort of thing (no testing machines, steam plants, piping networks, etc).

UND does, here's the link.

http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=mechengbs

everything is done online but for classes that require a lab such as physics,and chemistry etc, the lab part of the class must be done on campus in the summer for a couple days. I think they provide you with all accommodations.

There are some colleges that offer calculus based Physics completely online including lab. You can cross-register and transfer those credits into the ME program at UND.

1. What does "ABET Accredited" mean?

"ABET" stands for the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. This organization is responsible for evaluating and accrediting engineering and technology programs at universities and colleges. An ABET accreditation means that the program has met certain standards and has been deemed to provide a high-quality education in the field.

2. What does "Online BS ME Degree" mean?

"BS ME" stands for Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. This is an undergraduate degree in the field of mechanical engineering, which focuses on designing, building, and testing mechanical systems. "Online" means that the degree is earned through distance learning, typically through online courses and virtual lectures instead of traditional in-person classes.

3. Is an online ABET accredited BS ME degree as valuable as a traditional degree?

Yes, an online ABET accredited BS ME degree is just as valuable as a traditional degree. The accreditation process ensures that the program meets the same standards and provides the same quality education, regardless of the delivery method.

4. Can I become a licensed engineer with an online ABET accredited BS ME degree?

Yes, you can become a licensed engineer with an online ABET accredited BS ME degree. However, you will still need to meet the licensing requirements of your specific state or country, which may include passing exams and completing a certain amount of work experience.

5. Why am I not finding any results when searching for an "ABET Accredited Online BS ME Degree"?

There could be several reasons for not finding any results when searching for an "ABET Accredited Online BS ME Degree." It's possible that the program you are looking for does not exist or is not accredited by ABET. It's also possible that your search terms are too specific, and you may need to broaden your search to find relevant results.