1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online ME degree?

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Is there such a thing as an ABET accredited online Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree? I've been searching for weeks and have found nothing. For some reason there are a few online EE degrees but no ME degrees to be found. If anyone knows of any please let me know. I want to finish my ME degree without leaving home. Must be mechanical Engineering not Technology.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2
    Purdue offers an online ME Masters degree but no Bachelors. What gives?

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3
    I'll respond...just so ypu're not talking to yourself.:surprised

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I imagine that Purdue faculty would prefer to have undergraduate students on campus and their education under direct supervision of the faculty. Classwork interaction is another factor.

Someone qualifying for ME or MS would ostensibly have an undergraduate degree, and hence would be more inclined to successfully complete an ME/MS without direct supervision.

6. May 11, 2009 #5
    Thanks Astronuc that makes sense for Purdue or any othe major university. You'd think there would be online colleges willing to fill this huge gap though. Ive found EE undergrad degrees but no ME ones. Is there really that big of a difference? Too bad ABET doesn't just grant degrees to individuals who can demonstrate all their requirements.

7. May 15, 2009 #6
    I don't think you could possibly get the labs you would need if you were to try to do it at home. I'm thinking of a mechanics of materials lab, thermo lab, fluid mechanics lab, etc. Most homes just are not set up to handle this sort of thing (no testing machines, steam plants, piping networks, etc).

8. Aug 14, 2009 #7
    UND does, heres the link.

http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=mechengbs

everything is done online but for classes that require a lab such as physics,and chemistry etc, the lab part of the class must be done on campus in the summer for a couple days. I think they provide you with all accommodations.

There are some colleges that offer calculus based Physics completely online including lab. You can cross-register and transfer those credits in to the ME program at UND.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook