Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online members

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    Are members who have internet access at the moment categorized as online members?or is just not about having internet access one should have PF window open in order to be online member!I just want to know how it works?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Physicsforums is not the internet, it is just a website - if someone does not visit it, the server has no idea if the user is online or not. All the server sees are requests for pages in this forum from users.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3

Evo

There are members and members online, online meaning they are on the internet and have PF open in a device that can read the PF pages., computer, phone, etc... It does not necessarily mean that they are actually looking at PF.

5. Sep 3, 2015 #4
    Users are counted as "Online" if they have visited PF within the past 10 minutes.

6. Sep 3, 2015 #5

Evo

Wow, that times out quickly.

7. Sep 4, 2015 #6

Drakkith

So if I sit here on the same page for longer than that, does it show me as offline?

8. Sep 4, 2015 #7
    After 10 minutes of inaction it would

9. Sep 5, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

What about the alert checking feature for gold members? Does that count as "activity"?

10. Sep 5, 2015 #9
    Good question, I don't know :)

11. Sep 5, 2015 #10

ShayanJ

Gold Member

After checking alerts, the red marking goes away. That means there was an interaction between the user and the server. It seems reasonable that the server counts that as activity.

12. Sep 8, 2015 #11

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect mfb meant the invisible mechanism that decides whether the red marking should appear in the first place (without user interaction).

13. Sep 8, 2015 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Right. I can test it tomorrow if I don't forget.

14. Sep 9, 2015 #13

mfb

2016 Award

If I leave a forum tab open for 18 minutes without activity (but with automatic alert checking), PF opened on a different computer doesn't show me as logged in any more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook