1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online problem

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    I have to solve this online problem for homework and was wondering if anyone could help me with it, i can find the answer by graphing and solving, but don't know how to explain the mistake....

thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have an integral from a to b (in this case, -1 to 1), u has to be a 1-1 continuously differentiable function of x with non-zero derivative. That is, u has to be a function of x defined on all of [-1, 1]. It has to be 1-1, so u has to take on a different value for every x. u has to be continuous, differentiable (with respect to x, i.e. you can find du/dx), and du/dx has to be continuous. Moreover, du/dx can never be 0, otherwise dx = du/u', so and if u' is ever 0, then when you change your variables, the integrand will have 0 in the denominator at some point, which isn't allowed. Your u substitution fails about half of these criteria.

For one, it is not defined when x = 0. Second, 1/x4 = 1/(-x)4, so u repeats the value 1/24 at both x = 1/2 and x = -1/2.
  4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    thank you

thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?