Online satellite views of hurricane Irma results?

In summary, there is a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma. However, the website does not have views of the aftermath (damage).
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Is there a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Is there a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma?
Are you referring to views of the aftermath (damage)? I don't know of anything for public release, yet. I believe Google Earth saves some historical views of major events.

As far as I know the result so far is a lot of damage in the Carribean including some deaths, no death afaik in Florida.
However if your want pictures, a satellite, even the best military ones, would have less resolution than somebody on the ground.
There are many sites with pictures showing damage locally.

Likes scottdave
rootone said:
no death afaik in Florida.

as of yesterday ... at the time you wrote ... Florida death toll had reached 12 :frown:

Ah, thanks for the update, I don't live in the US, it's in the news here but not headlining.
That's quite a lot higher than average I would think, given that there were several days of warning.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
as of yesterday ... at the time you wrote ... Florida death toll had reached 12 :frown:
News reports on how many people are dead or missing will be spotty for awhile. My guess is the final number will be higher:frown:
Considering the size of the storm and the millions of people in Florida, 12 doesn't sound high. Don't take this the wrong way...
Of course we want there to be zero deaths, but practically, we know there will be some, even though we try to take precaution to prevent loss of life.

scottdave said:
Of course we want there to be zero deaths, but practically, we know there will be some, even though we try to take precaution to prevent loss of life.
unfortunately, this is true :frown:

1. What is the purpose of using online satellite views to track hurricane Irma?

The purpose of using online satellite views is to monitor the location, size, and intensity of the hurricane in real-time. This information can help predict the path and potential impact of the hurricane, allowing for better preparation and response efforts.

2. How often are the online satellite views updated?

The online satellite views are typically updated every few minutes, depending on the source. Some websites may offer more frequent updates, while others may have a delay of up to 30 minutes.

3. Can I see specific areas affected by hurricane Irma on the satellite views?

Yes, you can zoom in on the satellite images to see specific areas affected by the hurricane. Some websites may also offer overlays of affected areas or allow users to input a specific location for a closer view.

4. Are the online satellite views accurate?

Yes, the online satellite views are generally accurate as they are provided by reputable sources such as NASA and NOAA. However, it is important to note that the satellite views may not always reflect the current conditions on the ground, as they are a representation of the storm from above.

5. Can I access satellite views of hurricane Irma after the storm has passed?

Yes, most websites will keep archived satellite images available for viewing even after the hurricane has passed. This allows for comparison and analysis of the storm's path and impact.