1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online Tutoring

Tags:
  1. Nov 14, 2015 #1
    There are times when I don't quite have the energy for my difficult graduate work, but I still feel like doing something physics or math related. I was wondering anyone here has had success doing tutoring online using one of the many available platforms that combine chat, video, and digital whiteboards. Which platforms did you use and how did you get established? How hard was it to obtain clients? Is it hard to compete with MIT graduates who have multiple years of tutoring experience on their profiles? I'm particularly interested in doing lessons for people who require assistance with short notice.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Plenty of online tutoring companies and systems if you check in craigslist and through YouTube. You need to be able to apply to some of them and not feel too uncomfortable about putting your personal information on online applications without seeing where physically and who-to will receive that application information. Too many of those systems and companies to try to list.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Sure, I started trying some of them out last week. I tried WyzAnt but I am noticing most of the clients prefer to meet in person. In addition, every client seems to be receiving applications from other tutors soon after they list on the site, suggesting the supply/demand ratio is not in favor of new tutors obtaining clients. So I'm wondering if anyone had suggestions on which sites gave them the most success and strategies that could be used.

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

MisterX,
    I was going to mention WyzAnt also which you already know about; and then tutor.com, tutorvista, and WizIQ,( this last one, which I remember, you as a tutor may need to pay for to have an account, so anything like that is probably not to your liking). You can also advertise through craigslist and describe what and how you plan to do for any student.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook