• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Online Tutoring

Main Question or Discussion Point

How much can i earn tutoring online?

Answers and Replies

My son had a tutor once who was very good at it. He would give the next student a quiz to do prior to the tutoring session (1 hour) and during the session they would go over the quiz. The quiz was based on the topic they would be discussing.

It worked really well.

Now, you could recommend that a student watch a Khan Academy video prior to the tutoring session and then you give them a quiz and then go over it during the session and do additional problems with the student.

In general, students would hate added homework from a tutor but wouldn't mind watching a video prior to a session.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Here in the UK private tutors (at your or their home) for maths or science charge £30 to £50 an hour.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
How much can i earn tutoring online?
If you haven't learned algebra yet, you probably shouldn't be tutoring physics online.
Ensuring clear and reliable instruction or giving help online needs some skill beyond the tutor's just having earned an "A" in the course. Some specialized technology may also be necessary. If tutor works for himself, he can ask for whatever price rate that the students are willing to pay or can afford to pay.

You might make out better with a YouTube channel though. However there are a lot of these channels but you get paid by the clicks so maybe just maybe you can succeed.

BlackPenRedPen is a great channel for teaching Calculus. The teacher has a clever ay of switching markers in one hand to make colorful equations on the whiteboard.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You might make out better with a YouTube channel though. ..., but you get paid by the clicks so maybe just maybe you can succeed.
More than just viewers clicking on something in or from YouTube videos should be necessary. Somehow, a connection of money between tutor and viewer needs to happen.

CP Grey posted a video on how the monetization works under the covers

What about online tutoring platforms? how much they offer to a fresher for tutoring online?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
You need to make a business plan. A key aspect is "who are my customers?" The answer seems to be "people with money who want to pay someone who doesn't know algebra yet to teach me physics". Ignoring the ethical concerns for the moment, do you think there are a lot of people in this category?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You need to make a business plan. A key aspect is "who are my customers?" The answer seems to be "people with money who want to pay someone who doesn't know algebra yet to teach me physics". Ignoring the ethical concerns for the moment, do you think there are a lot of people in this category?
Some of your customers will possibly be more sensible students who just need some help with Trigonometry, Calculus progression, and maybe some highschoolers who are (actually their parents as actual pay customers) in need of help learning college preparatory levels of Mathematics.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
They are not my customers. But more to the point, the OP says he doesn't know algebra. How do you expect him to tutor trig and calculus if he doesn't know algebra!

They are not my customers. But more to the point, the OP says he doesn't know algebra. How do you expect him to tutor trig and calculus if he doesn't know algebra!
To be fair, while your point is valid, he did not state what subject he would tutor in.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
He is very limited for now. In a few years, maybe not so limited. He may better know what he could tutor only then. Early planning can be good.

berkeman
Mentor
Sorry, thread closed for a bit...

berkeman
Mentor
For a non-obvious reason, the OP has left the building. Thanks for trying to help him out, folks. Thread will remain closed.