Waiting in Line to Vote: Is Online Voting Feasible?

In summary, I think online voting in U.S. elections is feasible, but the security risks are too great.
ehrenfest
I just spent about an hour and a half waiting in line to early vote. Do you think online voting in U.S. elections is feasible? Or do you think the security risks are too great?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it'd be too great...the risk that is.

What risks?

Risks like someone hacking into the voting server and submitting millions of votes for their preferred candidate.

rootX said:
What risks?

these kinds

Last edited by a moderator:
hackers...

ehrenfest said:
Risks like someone hacking into the voting server and submitting millions of votes for their preferred candidate.

It is possible to detect that data has been modified through statistical calculations and quantum mechanics applications.

Hackers can also break into online shopping sites/banks and get millions of dollars. But, that doesn't mean we don't do online shopping. We are continuously trying to improve the system.

It's possible to come up with a secure system similar to what banks use (something like assigning unique IDs to each citizen) ...

The challenge would be to deter hackers funded by a foreign government, or better yet to deter cyber attacks by foreign governments directly.

rootX said:
It is possible to detect that data has been modified through statistical calculations and quantum mechanics applications.

Hackers can also break into online shopping sites/banks and get millions of dollars. But, that doesn't mean we don't do online shopping. We are continuously trying to improve the system.

It's possible to come up with a secure system similar to what banks use (something like assigning unique IDs to each citizen) ...

On the other hand, voting is a bit more sacred then online shopping or banking. There is no constitutional right to secure online shopping for example.

rootX said:

So a server gets hacked and tampered with, or maybe just gliches or crashes for other reasons, what do you think happens to all of the votes that were stored on that server? They're now useless. If there is any reason to believe that votes have been tampered with they will be discarded.

There's also a question of cost and who will create and run the system. I'm sure you've heard of the great electronic voting fiasco?

TheStatutoryApe said:
So a server gets hacked and tampered with, or maybe just gliches or crashes for other reasons, what do you think happens to all of the votes that were stored on that server?

Solution: Frequent periodic backups. Even a HS student knows the importance of back ups.

I know it's hard but it isn't impossible. And, there are really high insentives to hack into bank/online shopping sites.

I think it would be better to know what internet security engineers think about the current systems. IMO, it's secure enough for voting purposes.

Last edited:
There has to be a paper trail that the voter can see. End of story. Right now, many States are in violation of election laws because computer results that don't produce a verifiable count, amount to a secret count, which is illegal. As for access, Nevada may have the right idea. They use many voting machines in many locations, such as malls, and other public areas. I have seen a number of reports about this and the voters seem to love it. Also, here in Oregon, we just mail it in, and that works extremely well.

Last edited:
rootX said:
Solution: Frequent periodic backups. Even a HS student knows the importance of back ups.

I know it's hard but it isn't impossible. And, there are really high insentives to hack into bank/online shopping sites.

I think it would be better to know what internet security engineers think about the current systems. IMO, it's secure enough for voting purposes.

I'm sure it could be done. But how much money and workwould it require and will the government hire someone competent to complete the task? Those are the big questions and if the people don't trust it it won't fly. I have computer geek friends who still won't shop online, I'd hate to think of the number of computer illeterates who would refuse to use such a system.

Voting online is a relatively secure and well-tested technology at this point and it's used regularly for allowing shareholders to vote for corporate board members and other company issues. But I agree with everyone's objections, I don't think we'll see its use for public elections in the United States in the near future. Maybe somewhere like Australia where everyone is required to vote and there are already lots of automated systems involved like reminder calls.

1. What is online voting?

Online voting is the process of casting a vote for an election or other decision using a computer or mobile device connected to the internet instead of going to a physical polling location.

2. Is online voting secure?

There is ongoing debate about the security of online voting systems. While some experts argue that online voting can be made secure through proper encryption and security protocols, others argue that there is no way to guarantee the integrity of the votes cast electronically.

3. How would online voting impact voter turnout?

It is difficult to predict the exact impact of online voting on voter turnout. Proponents argue that it could increase accessibility and convenience for voters, potentially leading to higher turnout. However, there are also concerns that online voting could disenfranchise certain groups, such as those without internet access or those who are less technologically savvy.

4. What are the potential benefits of online voting?

Some potential benefits of online voting include increased accessibility for voters, faster and more efficient vote counting, and the potential for increased voter engagement through the use of technology. It could also potentially reduce costs and resources needed for traditional polling locations.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of online voting?

Some potential drawbacks of online voting include security concerns, the potential for hacking or fraud, and the lack of a paper trail for auditing purposes. It could also create unequal access to voting for certain populations and potentially undermine the secrecy of the ballot. Additionally, implementing and maintaining an online voting system could be costly and complicated.