Are only vectors capable of being negative in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative values in physics, particularly in relation to force, acceleration, velocity, mass, and kinetic energy. While force, acceleration, and velocity can have negative values, mass and kinetic energy are defined to be positive. However, potential energy can be negative, as is the case with gravitational and electrical potential. The distinction between vector and scalar quantities is also mentioned, with force, acceleration, and velocity being vectors and mass and kinetic energy being scalars.
pantheid
I want to make the above claim in a physics paper for my intro to physics class, but first I want to confirm if it is absolutely correct. My reasoning goes that Force, acceleration, and velocity, can be negative, but mass and kinetic energy cannot be. Is my conjecture sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
no. as one example, check on the negative potential of a gravitational field...potential energy being a scalar.

Another example would be electrical potential,,,,positive and negative.

How about time?

I think mass is defined to be positive. It follows that kinetic energy is positive since it involves mass (m ≥ 0) and the squared modulus of velocity, which is necessarily positive (or zero).

I would be hesitant about answering your question with a yes though. The distinction you are looking for (I think) is that vector quantities have what we interpret as direction, while scalar quantities don't. In your examples force, acceleration and velocity are all vector quantities, while mass and kinetic energy are scalar quantities.

And as Naty1 says, potential energy can be negative.

1. Can scalars be negative?

No, scalars are quantities that have magnitude but no direction, so they cannot be negative.

2. Why can't vectors and scalars both be negative?

Vectors have both magnitude and direction, while scalars only have magnitude. The direction of a vector is what determines whether it is positive or negative.

3. Are negative vectors real?

Yes, negative vectors are real and have important applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They represent a quantity that has both magnitude and direction in the opposite direction of a positive vector.

4. Can the direction of a vector be negative?

No, the direction of a vector cannot be negative. The negative sign in front of a vector indicates the opposite direction, but the direction itself is always positive.

5. How do you know if a vector is positive or negative?

A vector is positive if it points in the same direction as a chosen reference direction, and negative if it points in the opposite direction. This is typically determined by the context of the problem or by a chosen convention.