Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oocyte division question

1. Jul 16, 2016 #1
    If two oocytes are considered, does taking the nuclear material of one and transferring to the other's nucleus start the division of it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

That happens with oogonia. During development the primordial germ cells form and become oogonia through mitosis (by millions), then they can become primary oocytes.

4. Jul 24, 2016 #3
    Thanks. But this process cannot be considered as an artificial fecondation ?

5. Jul 24, 2016 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

fecondation=fertilization.

It is not artificial fertilization. Correct. What @Fervent Freyja defined above is normal reproduction.
    I believe you are asking: under the microscope, can one take the nucleus (nuclear mterial) from one oocyte and insert it into another oocyte. Then expect the oocyte (now 2n) to undergo normal cell division to create an embryo? i.e., artificial fertilization.

I do not know.

6. Jul 24, 2016 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Absolutely not. What you are asking about would imply that males aren't needed, that's impossible, and a harmful notion. You need a sperm for fertilization to create an embryo. The genetic material from the sperm actually contributes far more than half to the embryo, and also contributes further in ways that the genetic material in the oocyte does not; of course, mainstream would like people to believe differently. There is even evidence that my body could still be harboring and using my Husbands genetic material in different locations, even my brain, years after pregnancy.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...over-childrens-cells-living-in-mothers-brain/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted