Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ooh conspiracy

1. Jul 23, 2004 #1
    Just a thought.

Do you think I can be tracked down by any govt. and denied access to any country or be detained fro something I post on an online forum like this one???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2004 #2

In theory you could be tracked. There are programs called Key Loggers which can enter your computer via a connection to the Internet and sit on your hard drive. Anything you type in can, theoretically, be recorded at a remote site. You could arm yourself with some Anti-Spy software but they have back doors so......
  4. Jul 23, 2004 #3

Do you combine your interests in a wine glass and fall out of the window whilst setting fire to the curtains?
  5. Jul 23, 2004 #4
    Yes, you can be tracked by the admin, the ISP, the webhost. Or with a subpoena the local police.

In most countries, visiting and posting messages on a forum or surfing websites is not really unconstitutional.

Unless you live in China, where online gaming is being cracked down. Most sites which are considered "questionable" gets blocked by their great firewall.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  6. Jul 23, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Do what I do. Use someone else's computer.
  7. Jul 23, 2004 #6
    Or go to multiproxy.org and just use proxies, It will slow you down though.
  8. Jul 26, 2004 #7

That's what I do - Don't have the 'net at home (yes, people like us still do exist!!) so use my varsity's PC's!!!

Anyway, the reason why I wanna know is that it doesn't reallly make sense does it? It's like censorship of thought isn't it? Kinda like religion in the dark ages where radical thought meant you'd be burnt at the stake. I'm just thinking that my right to "free speech (thought)" as such would be violated if I was to be tracked down. Not that I've done anything bad though...
  9. Jul 26, 2004 #8
    What's the alternative, Shahil? Say nothing that offends people who hold views that oppose your own? Freedom of expression is worth a few travel restrictions, in my opinion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?