What Happens When You Try to Read and Drink at the Same Time?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a series of mishaps and humorous incidents involving drinking and physics. The conversation included a story about falling off a wall while drunk, a discussion about laptop transformers, and jokes about drinking in pubs.
Rach3
Was holding Jackson's Electrodynamics in one hand, beer bottle in other, leaned over to peer closer at a figure and whoosh... flying through the air. Hit my head pretty hard on a post, but I was very lucky and was able to keep the beer from spilling. No symptoms of concussion, just the unpleasant bruise. I'll try to medicate that with the beer, or the Jackson, or the synergistic confounding effects of both.

At least no one saw me, unlike the time I walked into a metal lampost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should probably mention I'm not doing Jackson problems at 4:20 AM again, I happen to be in a different time zone, one in which it's the early evening right now...

Help! My computer battery is about to die, and I just noticed the electric prongs here are all funny and my power cord doesn't fit! bye.....

Hurray! My computer is running on 240 volts, and has not yet exploded!

Oh well, back to the magnetohydrodynamics of beer bubbles.

(incididentally, I photographed my avatar myself! *copyright 2007)

Moderator note: separate replies merged into one. No need to make everyone keep scrolling for a series of one-sentence comments.

Rach3, you worry me. Do you think you're quite alright?

If I were alright, would I want to be a grad student?

(that's rhetorical)

Rach3 said:

I wouldn't run a computer on the voltage and the wrong frequency of current.

A coffee maker will work okay for a few months with an adaptor before dieing, but even a coffee maker doesn't really work as well. You need a transformer.

From here:

The preferable type of PFC is Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) since it provides more efficient power frequency. Because Active PFC uses a circuit to correct power factor, Active PFC is able to generate a theoretical power factor of over 95%. Active Power Factor Correction also markedly diminishes total harmonics, automatically corrects for AC input voltage, and is capable of a full range of input voltage. Since Active PFC is the more complex method of Power Factor Correction, it is more expensive to produce an Active PFC power supply.

Most laptop transformers are rated for 100-240 at 50-60 Hz. It usually says right on the transformer what the acceptable range is for voltage and frequency.

Rach, try to stay away from dangerous objects like chairs and books.

Last edited:
You need near beer.

I once fell backwards off a wall whilst drunk and landed on my head(seriously, I nearly cracked a rib and ended up with a big bump on the noggin) That was enough to teach me that sitting and drinking do not mix well, now I try and remain horizontal if at all possible whilst drunk, the ground moves less and it's easier to fall asleep.:wink: :smile:

This reminds me of a time when I was at a friends house and he was so drunk that he went to sit down and he missed the chair and fell... twice. lol

Rach3 said:
That's proper power! :biggrin:

dontdisturbmycircles said:
This reminds me of a time when I was at a friends house and he was so drunk that he went to sit down and he missed the chair and fell... twice. lol

My friend who's about 6'7" and about 19 and a half stone was walking out of the toilets once after having had a few, and he fell over as he did so though he rolled over and decided to keep going to great comedy effect, he got up at the bar and ordered a pint, to the applause of everyone in the place, absolutely hilarious :biggrin:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I once fell backwards off a wall whilst drunk and landed on my head(seriously, I nearly cracked a rib and ended up with a big bump on the noggin) That was enough to teach me that sitting and drinking do not mix well, now I try and remain horizontal if at all possible whilst drunk, the ground moves less and it's easier to fall asleep.:wink: :smile:

Whenever visiting a pub, it's best to wear shoes that say "Other End Up" on the souls.

(I can't believe that hasn't been explained in those 'Man Law' commercials.)

BobG said:
Whenever visiting a pub, it's best to wear shoes that say "Other End Up" on the souls.
What was he doing going to the toilet in the first place??

Golden rule: never break the seal :tongue: :biggrin:

1. What causes someone to fall out of a chair?

There are several factors that can contribute to someone falling out of a chair, such as improper sitting posture, unstable or broken chair legs, slippery floors, or sudden movements.

2. Is it dangerous to fall out of a chair?

It can be dangerous to fall out of a chair, depending on the height of the fall and the individual's health and age. In some cases, falling out of a chair can lead to bruises, sprains, or even serious injuries like broken bones or concussions.

3. How can falling out of a chair be prevented?

To prevent falling out of a chair, it is important to sit properly with feet flat on the ground and back against the backrest. Chairs should also be checked for any stability issues or broken parts. Additionally, keeping walkways clear and avoiding sudden movements can also help prevent falls.

4. Are there any medical conditions that can increase the likelihood of falling out of a chair?

Yes, there are certain medical conditions that can increase the risk of falling out of a chair, such as vertigo, muscle weakness, or balance disorders. It is important for individuals with these conditions to take extra precautions when sitting in a chair.

5. What should I do if I witness someone falling out of a chair?

If someone falls out of a chair, it is important to assess their condition and seek medical attention if necessary. Offer assistance to help them up and ensure they are not injured. It may also be helpful to report any safety concerns with the chair or environment to prevent future accidents.

Back