1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op Amp as AC Current Source

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design a circuit based on the noninverting op-amp configuration that functions as a 1mA ac current source.

2. Relevant equations
    Gain = Vout/Vin = 1 + R2/R1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to start.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the "virtual ground" property of opamps? And how can you use that to help in this problem?

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    Well, the current flowing into the +/- inputs is essentially 0. I understand the basics of the op amp (how to derive gain, vout, etc.), but I have never encountered a problem asking to use one as a current source. And, the book (Microelectronic Circuits & Devices, 2nd, Horenstein) is very vague, unfortunately.

If I have a different resistance connected to Vout (not R1 or R2), then it will change the current, won't it? That's where I am getting lost. I don't know how to make the current independent of whatever load resistance is connected.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4

berkeman

The property you mention is not the "virtual ground" property of opamps. Try again?

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5
    V+ = v-.

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6

berkeman

Bingo!

So what will the voltage at the - input always be? And so what will the current be through R1? And since the current into the - input is zero as you already pointed out, what will the output current be?

8. Feb 5, 2013 #7
    iout = iR1 = iR2 = [itex]\frac{Vin}{R1}[/itex]

So, I could choose Vin = 1V, R1 = 1kΩ, and R2 = whatever?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. Feb 5, 2013 #8

berkeman

Yep!

The Vout will depend on the load impedance. If the load impedance is too large, the output of the opamp will saturate (like if Rload = 10kOhms, and the supplies to the opamp are +/-5V). But as long as the opamp doesn't saturate, the output current will be 1mApp.

10. Feb 5, 2013 #9
    Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

11. Feb 5, 2013 #10

berkeman

All I did was ask questions... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook