Op Amp Capacitance multiplier

Your Name]In summary, to find the factor by which the capacitance is multiplied in this circuit, we need to first understand the non-inverting amplifier and its gain (A = 1 + (R2/R1)). Then, we can use the formula for the impedance of a capacitor (Zc = 1/(jωC)) and the parallel impedance formula to find the effective capacitance (Ceff = (R2C)/(1 + (R2/R1))). This shows that the effective capacitance is increased by a factor of (1 + (R2/R1)).
madelineinpar

Homework Statement

Please, I would like to know how to find the factor by which the capacitance is multiplied
A picture of the Op Amp is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cap-mult-op.svg
Zc is complex impedance of C

Homework Equations

none given

The Attempt at a Solution

choose,
I2 through R2 left to right
I1 through R1 top to bottom

so Iin = I1+I2 = (Vin-Vout)/R2 + Vin/R1 +Zc
Vout =V- = V+ = (ZcVin)/(R2+Zc)
Iin=Vin((R2+R1)/(R1(R2+Zc)))

And then I'm not sure how to calculate the effective capacitance. I think it is supposed to be increased by a factor of R2/R1 but I don't know how to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the factor by which the capacitance is multiplied, you need to first understand the circuit and its components. The op amp in the picture is a non-inverting amplifier, which means that the output voltage is equal to the input voltage multiplied by a factor, known as the gain (A). In this case, the gain is given by the equation A = 1 + (R2/R1). This means that the output voltage will be amplified by a factor of (1 + (R2/R1)).

Now, to find the effective capacitance, we can use the formula for the impedance of a capacitor, which is Zc = 1/(jωC), where j is the imaginary unit, ω is the frequency, and C is the capacitance. Since we are dealing with a complex impedance, we can use the parallel impedance formula to find the effective capacitance (Ceff). This formula is given by Ceff = 1/((1/Zc) + (1/R2)). Substituting Zc = 1/(jωC) and solving for Ceff, we get Ceff = (R2C)/(1 + (R2/R1)). This shows that the effective capacitance is indeed increased by a factor of (1 + (R2/R1)).

I hope this helps you understand how to find the factor by which the capacitance is multiplied in this circuit. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier?

An Op Amp Capacitance multiplier is a circuit that uses an operational amplifier (Op Amp) to increase the effective capacitance of a circuit. It works by using feedback to create a virtual capacitor that is larger than the physical capacitor in the circuit.

2. How does an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier work?

The Op Amp Capacitance multiplier works by using the high gain and low output impedance of the Op Amp to create a feedback loop between the input and the output. This feedback loop creates a virtual capacitor that has a larger capacitance than the physical capacitor in the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier?

The main benefit of using an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier is that it allows for a larger effective capacitance in a circuit without physically adding more capacitors. This can be useful in circuits where space is limited or where larger capacitors are not available. It also helps to reduce noise and improve stability.

4. How is an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier different from a traditional capacitor?

An Op Amp Capacitance multiplier is different from a traditional capacitor because it does not physically add more capacitance to the circuit. Instead, it uses the properties of the Op Amp to create a larger effective capacitance. It also has a different frequency response compared to a traditional capacitor.

5. In what applications is an Op Amp Capacitance multiplier commonly used?

An Op Amp Capacitance multiplier is commonly used in applications where a larger effective capacitance is needed, but space or availability of larger capacitors is limited. It is also used in circuits where stability and noise reduction are important, such as in power supplies and audio amplifiers.