How Does Setting Rx to 60k Affect the Output Voltage in an Ideal Op Amp Circuit?

In summary, an op amp in the circuit shown is ideal. When the variable resistor Rx is set to 60k, the output voltage is 4.8V.
shifty101uk
1. http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8971/opampanalysisxe2.png
Assume that the op amp in the circuit shown is ideal.

a.) Find the output voltage when the variable resistor Rx is set to 60k

Assuming Ideal Op amp. All currents leaving nodes are negative.

V+ = V- = 0 and In = Ip = 0

-ip - iRx + iR2, so iR2 = ip + iRx, as ip = 0

iR2 = iRx

-in + iR3 -iR1, iR3 = in + iR1, as in = o

iR3 = iR1

iR2 = Vs/R2 , iRx = Vs/Rx (is Rx in parallel or series?).

iR3 = Vo/R3, iR1 = VR1/R1

so far is this correct? Is Rx in series or in parallel with R2? I am pretty sure its in parallel(as the current has 2 different paths to go.) but I am not sure. The V+ = V- = 0 and i+ = i- = 0 assumptions are confusing me at the moment.

Some of the other unknowns can be reduced by voltage dividers. My main problem is determining the Nodal Voltage formulas on these circuits. I had a go anyway.

(Vn-Vo)/R1 + Vo/R3 + (Vs-Vp)/R2 + Vp/Rx = 0

im guessing this is probably wrong. If anyone could give me some pointers in the right direction I would be very grateful. I am going to review Nodal analysis at some point tomorrow and have another go at the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hints:
V+ =V- but not zero, to be determined
iR2 = iRx as you have shown so iR2 not equal Vs/R2
iR3 not equal to Vo/R3
i+ = i- =0 is ok

Last edited:
Ok, I was really tired when I made this post but I think I get your hints. Is Vo divided over R3 and R1 as they are both in series as a voltage divider? I see what you mean about iR2 = iRx but not equal to Vs/R2, would it be equal to Vs/Rx? (actually, ignore that...its a current divider between Rx and R2).

This is more complicated than I need to learn for my exam, but I just see it as...If I know how to complete more complex problems my understanding can only get better

first question: yes
second question: don't think so... if iR2=iRx then R2 and Rx are in series... do a KVL loop if still unsure but it is simple to work out iR2 or iRx

shifty101uk said:
This is more complicated than I need to learn for my exam, but I just see it as...If I know how to complete more complex problems my understanding can only get better

in that case, you better clear up those ideas, for otherwise you may confuse yourself... this is a standard op-amp problem...

ok so Rx and R2 is another voltage divider, actually I have just spotted where most of my confusion lies, so this has just become so much clearer, thanks. I do still need to review nodal analysis.

hmm tried doing the q...do u have the answer to this q...? I got 4.8V but i didnt use any current thingy, just all on current divider rule

i have 12.6

hey, the answer is 4.8V i got the answer in the end and my understanding of op-amps is now pretty solid. Thanks Physforums

i've rounded off

[(Rx+R2)/Rx]*.4 = V+ or [(60000+15000)/60000]*.4 = .32

[R3/(R3+R1)]*V+ = .29 or [63000/(63000+4500)]*.32 = .29

[(R3/R1)*V+]+.29 = 4.77 or [(63000/4500)*.32]+.29 = Voclose enough to the 4.799 on the sim, don't know what i was thinking :tongue2:

Last edited:
Hey,the answer is 4.8V. Remember in case of OP AMPs u need to apply KCL at every node.

1. What is an Op Amp?

An Operational Amplifier (Op Amp) is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input signals to produce a larger output signal. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for signal processing, filtering, and amplification.

2. How does an Op Amp work?

An Op Amp consists of a differential input stage, gain stage, and output stage. The differential input stage compares the voltage between the two input terminals and amplifies the difference. The gain stage then amplifies this difference to a desired level, and the output stage provides the final output signal.

3. What is the ideal behavior of an Op Amp?

The ideal behavior of an Op Amp includes infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, infinite open-loop gain, and zero input offset voltage. In other words, the Op Amp would have no effect on the input signals and would provide a perfectly amplified output signal.

4. What are the different types of Op Amp circuits?

There are several types of Op Amp circuits, including inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, summing amplifiers, difference amplifiers, integrators, differentiators, and voltage followers. Each type has its own unique characteristics and applications.

5. How do you analyze an Op Amp circuit?

Analyzing an Op Amp circuit involves applying the rules for ideal Op Amp behavior, such as the virtual short and virtual ground rules, and using circuit analysis techniques like Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. It is also important to consider the feedback network and any external components in the circuit.