1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op Amp Circuit problem

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    2. Relevant equations
    I think I figured out the 1st question. The result I got is Vout=2*Vin+2V.
    Which means twice as big wave as the Vin and shifted with 2V.
    Is this enough or I have to write equations like 2nd -> Vout = 2*Vin+2V?
    or
    2) 2kV/s is the same as 2V/ms, or 20V in 10ms

3) Vout “clips” at ±8VIn fact it would be rather worse than this, as the output would not quite make it to the ±8V supplies.

4) Short-circuit across R1 means that negative feedback has gone and the Op-Amp is simply comparing its input to 0V, multiplying the difference by the raw Op-Amp gain (very large) and thus saturating Vout at the (positive) power supply of +15V

5) Short-circuit across R2 makes the circuit into a unity-gain buffer with R1 as its load resistor, so Vout = Vin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

see above in red

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    shows a non-inverting Op-Amp circuit. *Its input waveform, Vin is a square wave with minimum and maximum values of 0V and +5V respectively. *R1 and R2 are both 1kΩ resistors. *For all of this assignment, apart from (3) below, assume that the Op-Amp’s power supplies are ± 15V.
    The resistors values are 1kOhm
    and the power supply is +-15V

5. Feb 14, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think I figured out the 1st question. The result I got is Vout=2*Vin+2V.
    Which means twice as big wave as the Vin and shifted with 2V.
    Is this enough or I have to write equations like 2nd -> Vout = 2*Vin+2V?
    or
    That depends on whether the bias current flows into the + or - input. If into the + there is no effect. If into the - input your output expression is correct.

2) 2kV/s is the same as 2V/ms, or 20V in 10ms
    So draw the input and output waveforms.

3) Vout “clips” at ±8VIn fact it would be rather worse than this, as the output would not quite make it to the ±8V supplies.
    Correct.

4) Short-circuit across R1 means that negative feedback has gone and the Op-Amp is simply comparing its input to 0V, multiplying the difference by the raw Op-Amp gain (very large) and thus saturating Vout at the (positive) power supply of +15V

With an ideal op amp and the input going from exactly 0 to +5V, the output will obviously be hard-over +15V when the input is at +5V. But what about when the input is at 0V?

5) Short-circuit across R2 makes the circuit into a unity-gain buffer with R1 as its load resistor, so Vout = Vin
    That is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook