Setting Up a High-Referenced Op-Amp with Positive Gain <1

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a circuit with an op-amp that has a positive gain less than one and is referenced to high rather than ground. The person is unsure of how to configure the circuit to achieve their desired output. They eventually realize that an op-amp may not be necessary and consider using a resistor divider instead.
JerryG
I am trying to setup a circuit with an op-amp that is referenced to high rather than ground and has a positive gain less than one. So for instance, my circuite has power rails at ground and 3.3v. I want an input of 3.3v to give an output of 3.3v and i want an input of 0 to give an output of around 1.4v. I can do the resistor calculations. I'm just not sure what that configuration would look like.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I fumbled around with this for a while until I realized why I was having trouble with it which is because I have never done a circuit like this because an op-amp isn't necessary to do it. However, that is not to say you can't do it with the op-amp. Once I realized why it isn't necessary to use an op-amp I easily figured out how to do it with one. So, let me ask you, is there some requirement to do it a certain way?

JerryG said:
I am trying to setup a circuit with an op-amp that is referenced to high rather than ground and has a positive gain less than one. So for instance, my circuite has power rails at ground and 3.3v. I want an input of 3.3v to give an output of 3.3v and i want an input of 0 to give an output of around 1.4v. I can do the resistor calculations. I'm just not sure what that configuration would look like.

Isn't it better to use a resistor divider ?

1. What is an op-amp and why is it used for high-referenced circuits?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in high-referenced circuits because it has a high input impedance and low output impedance, which allows for accurate amplification and minimal signal loss.

2. How do I determine the appropriate gain for my high-referenced op-amp circuit?

The gain for a high-referenced op-amp circuit can be determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. This is known as the closed-loop gain. It is important to choose a gain that is less than 1 in order to avoid instability and oscillation in the circuit.

3. What type of power supply is needed for a high-referenced op-amp circuit?

A dual power supply, consisting of both a positive and negative voltage source, is typically used for high-referenced op-amp circuits. This allows for a wider range of input and output signals to be amplified.

4. How can I ensure stability in my high-referenced op-amp circuit?

Stability in a high-referenced op-amp circuit can be achieved by using a capacitor in parallel with the feedback resistor. This helps to reduce noise and prevent oscillations in the circuit. Additionally, choosing appropriate resistor and capacitor values can help to improve stability.

5. Are there any common pitfalls to avoid when setting up a high-referenced op-amp circuit?

One common pitfall to avoid is using an inappropriate gain setting, as this can lead to instability and inaccurate amplification. It is also important to carefully choose appropriate resistor and capacitor values to avoid noise and oscillations. Additionally, ensuring proper grounding and minimizing external interference can help to improve circuit performance.