1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op Amp Design #2

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Design a circuit containing a single op amp that can perform the following operation: Vo = 3*10^4(i2-i1), where i2 and i1 are input current sources

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Where I'm at right now, I am just using the equation for a difference amplifier gains, but I have more unknowns than equations, so I don't know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Maylis. Could I suggest that you post images as unadorned jpeg (or png, etc) files, so those using basic tablets (and costly data plans) are still able to participate?

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Alright, here is a .png

Attached Files:

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your diagram labeling does not agree with your equations.

Big hint: since the inputs are current you need a total of only 2 resistors.

6. Mar 7, 2014 #5

Maylis

Gold Member

Oh I see, I need to change the label of R2 and R3. Either way my problem persists. The equation should be correct now with that change, as well as making it R3*i2 in my second stop

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Mar 7, 2014 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

Okay, I source transformed, corrected the labeling, and this is what I came up with.

Edit: my bad, I was saying that no current goes through R1 and R3, which cant be possible since there is a potential difference between Vn/Vp and the resistors. Now the equations are even messier. Where do you get the fact that I only need 2 resistors from? I am following the template for a difference amplifier as given in the textbook and I redrew as my original image, pre-source transform

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. Mar 7, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

See if you can get it to work without R1 and R3.

9. Mar 7, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And RL.

And BTW the pdf file is a lot easier to read, for me anyway.

If the new tablets, iPads etc etc can't even read pdf files any more I am more po'd than ever that xp is disappearing ... we are dumbing-down at an ever-increasing rate ... :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted