Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op-Amp Gain

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently making a hydrophone and I'm planning to use a piezo crystal as a sound receiver whose output I then intend to put through an op-amp. Berkeman recently raised an interesting point about voltage issues with op-amps so I thought I'd pose this question before proceeding any further.

I expect the signal to be of the order of millivolts and I want to turn it into something audible with headphones. Would a LM741 op-amp be okay for this or are it's limitations to severe? I'm guess I'd need a gain of about 1000 for it to work?

Can anyone help? Sorry to post yet another topic but why not take advantage of other people's expertise :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks waht :redface:

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    please shows me about LM741 or MA741.Thank You very much!

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
  7. Apr 23, 2008 #6
  8. Apr 25, 2008 #7
    hahaha...is this an example of a closed loop search?

9. Apr 28, 2008 #8
    Recursion: See Recursion. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?