1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op-Amp Gain

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently making a hydrophone and I'm planning to use a piezo crystal as a sound receiver whose output I then intend to put through an op-amp. Berkeman recently raised an interesting point about voltage issues with op-amps so I thought I'd pose this question before proceeding any further.

I expect the signal to be of the order of millivolts and I want to turn it into something audible with headphones. Would a LM741 op-amp be okay for this or are it's limitations to severe? I'm guess I'd need a gain of about 1000 for it to work?

Can anyone help? Sorry to post yet another topic but why not take advantage of other people's expertise :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks waht :redface:

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    please shows me about LM741 or MA741.Thank You very much!

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
  7. Apr 23, 2008 #6
  8. Apr 25, 2008 #7
    hahaha...is this an example of a closed loop search?

9. Apr 28, 2008 #8
    Recursion: See Recursion. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?