Hydrophone Build: Seeking Help on Voltage Issues with Op-Amp

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of a piezo crystal as a sound receiver and which op-amp would be suitable for amplifying the signal. The suggestion was made to use a TL082 instead of a LM741 due to its higher input impedance and the fact that it contains two op-amps. A link was also provided for more information on the LM741 and MA741. The conversation ended with a humorous mention of recursion.
Adder_Noir
Hi,

I'm currently making a hydrophone and I'm planning to use a piezo crystal as a sound receiver whose output I then intend to put through an op-amp. Berkeman recently raised an interesting point about voltage issues with op-amps so I thought I'd pose this question before proceeding any further.

I expect the signal to be of the order of millivolts and I want to turn it into something audible with headphones. Would a LM741 op-amp be okay for this or are it's limitations to severe? I'm guess I'd need a gain of about 1000 for it to work?

Can anyone help? Sorry to post yet another topic but why not take advantage of other people's expertise :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.

waht said:
I'd recommend you use a TL082 for a microphone, probably is also avialable in radio shack. The chip is based of jfets which provide a very high input impedance, much higher than LM741. Also you get two opamp in this chip.

Thanks waht :redface:

please shows me about LM741 or MA741.Thank You very much!

hahaha...is this an example of a closed loop search?

Recursion: See Recursion. :biggrin:

1. What is a hydrophone and how does it work?

A hydrophone is a type of underwater microphone that is used to detect and record sound waves in water. It works by converting the pressure changes caused by sound waves into electrical signals that can be amplified and recorded.

2. Why do I need an op-amp in my hydrophone build?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is used in the hydrophone circuit to amplify the weak electrical signals generated by the hydrophone. This allows for clearer and more accurate recordings of underwater sound.

3. What are some common voltage issues that can occur in a hydrophone build?

Some common voltage issues in a hydrophone build include inadequate amplification, noise interference, and incorrect power supply connections. These can result in poor quality recordings or no signal at all.

4. How can I troubleshoot voltage issues with my hydrophone build?

You can troubleshoot voltage issues by checking all connections and ensuring they are secure. You should also check the power supply and make sure it is providing the correct voltage. Additionally, you can try adjusting the gain or using a different op-amp to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Can I build a hydrophone without using an op-amp?

Technically, it is possible to build a hydrophone without an op-amp, but it would require a more complex circuit and may not produce clear or accurate recordings. It is generally recommended to use an op-amp in a hydrophone build for optimal performance.