1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op Amp lab preparation

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I'm working on a lab project and I have limited instruments/electronics. I am trying to use this op amp to amplify a few uA pulse to a 5 mA pulse. The pulse is passing through a circuit that has around 500 to 1600V and I had originally hooked up the Op Amp in a series using the + and - inputs. Then the output + and - was ran to a Pasco current sensor. Nothing else was connected to the Op Amp. I apologize in advance if this post makes you high five your forehead. Also, thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Since an opamp doesn't accommodate those voltages, can you post a schematic?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

the pic is a bit small to read all the connections on the unit ... have you got a better one ?

The op-amp experiment unit will also need a power supply connected to the blue/red/black terminals on the top left
    ( well at least that looks like the power rail terminals)

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dang I had left that post hanging for over an hour before posting it

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. Here are a couple pics that I hope help the situation. I'm using pasco instruments with my lab and the current sensor can only read 5 mA and up I believe. In the schematic there is a capacitor and its not in the drawing, but what I'm doing is hanging a pendulum between the capacitor and it's swinging back and forth as it gets charged. So that is where the current is coming from. If you look at the picture I've attached, the red and black wire on the left is part of the circuit with the capacitor/pendulum ect. That current is small so I'm trying to send the pulse into the op amp, amplify it and send it through the output into the pasco current sensor. Also, the Op Amp is plugged into 115V outlet and being the amateur that I am, I figured that gave me the power I needed.

Attached Files:

7. Oct 26, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you explain what the experiment is about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted