Opamp logarithmic & exponential amplifiers

In summary: This is why the results of your experiment contradicted the equations.In summary, log and exponential amplifiers are based on the Schotky equation for the current in a diode. When the applied voltage is a few times greater than the thermal voltage, the circuits work as expected. However, at very low voltages, the constant term in the equation becomes significant and can explain the discrepancy between the experimental results and the predicted output voltage.
daskywalker
So I was playing around with logarithmic & exponential amplifiers in my lab class. I was looking at the following equations:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/7/7/6/77663157d5b97ceb2e3edac5f587a620.png and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/3/c/b3c569c85552561e41dec916f6e8ebe8.png

Experimentally I found out that if I feed in 0V in both log. and exp. amplifiers I get 0V output.
But according to the equations the log of zero is undefined and the power of any number is one, i.e. I should never get zero output voltage.
I was wondering how to explain this observation, was it that my experiment was flawed or that real life op amps behave differently than those equations predict?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the delay.
These simple circuits compute one sided Log ratio functions. The input is assumed to be numerically greater than or equal to one. That minimum input of one is offset or mapped to zero volts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_amplifier

Log and exponential amplifier are based on the Schotky equation for the current in a diode which is
$$I = I_s [exp( \frac{V}{nV_T} )- 1]$$ where V is the applied voltage, ##I_s## is the saturation current and ##V_t## is "thermal voltage", that is, ## k_B T/e## (Boltzmann constant x absolute temperature /elementary charge). So, when V is a few times greater than ##V_T##, the equation simplifies to $$I = I_s [exp( \frac{V}{nV_T} )- 1] \approx I_s exp( \frac{V}{nV_T} )$$ and that's the range of voltages where these circuit work as logarithmic or exponential amplifiers. But when V gets close to zero, the effects of the constant term in the first equation is not negligible.

1. What is an opamp logarithmic amplifier?

An opamp logarithmic amplifier is an electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (opamp) to produce an output that is proportional to the logarithm of the input voltage. It is commonly used for applications such as audio level compression and signal processing.

2. How does an opamp logarithmic amplifier work?

The opamp logarithmic amplifier works by using a feedback loop to control the output voltage. The input voltage is fed into the non-inverting input of the opamp, while the inverting input is connected to a feedback resistor and diode. As the input voltage increases, the diode conducts more current, causing the output voltage to increase exponentially.

3. What is the difference between a logarithmic and exponential amplifier?

A logarithmic amplifier produces an output that is proportional to the logarithm of the input voltage, while an exponential amplifier produces an output that is proportional to the exponential of the input voltage. In other words, a logarithmic amplifier compresses the input voltage, while an exponential amplifier expands it.

4. What are the applications of opamp logarithmic amplifiers?

Opamp logarithmic amplifiers are commonly used in audio and signal processing applications, such as audio compressors, equalizers, and filters. They are also used in scientific instruments, such as spectrometers, and in communication systems for signal conditioning and range control.

5. How do I choose the right opamp for my logarithmic amplifier circuit?

When selecting an opamp for a logarithmic amplifier circuit, you should consider the input and output voltage ranges, the desired accuracy and linearity, and the required bandwidth. Additionally, you should pay attention to the opamp's noise characteristics and supply voltage requirements to ensure compatibility with your circuit.