Understanding Op Amp Offset Voltage: Rules & Examples

In summary, the offset voltage is the difference between the two voltages at the input of the feedback circuit for an open loop amplifier. The offset voltage is caused by the amplifier's error and can be minimized by using a trick to reduce input current effects.
ecestar
please

can anyone give me clearly information about Op Amp Offset Voltage

with simple example and rule to explain that becaus i was found diffecalt to understsnd it .

Physics news on Phys.org
An op-amp in a feedback circuit should drive its two inputs to the same voltage. In reality, the amplifier will have some error, and the two inputs will settle at slightly different voltages. The difference in the two voltages is called the "offset voltage" or "offset error."

- Warren

ok thanks

but can u give me any example with value of input and resistor and what the solution

I have no idea what you're asking for. If you need help with a homework problem, please show us the problem (exactly as it was given to you), show us your work, and explain how and why you're stuck.

- Warren

i want to send patient tempareture

so at first i have sensor (AD22100) with 10 degree range

after that send the voltage of the sensor to VCO to convert v/f (TS902).

but between the sensor and VCO i need op amp (741) but when i connect it the offset apper in the result and i am connect varaible resistor to the feedback of the op amp but i don't now how can i get the right result.

not: u can see the data sheet if u want about sensor (AD22100),VCO(TS9402).AMPLIFIRE (741).

THANKS

Can you show us a schematic?

- Warren

who can i do that

ecestar said:
who can i do that

How can you do that? If you have the schematic on your PC screen, you can press Alt-PrintScreen on most computers, and that will store a "screenshot" of the active window to the Windows Clipboard. Then go into an application like "Paint", and paste it in. Save it as a JPG file, or convert to PDF, and upload it here as an attachment (careful of the size -- there are limitations to upload file size). If the file is too big to upload, store it on an outside server or your own website, and post a link to it here.

Also, with an older non-CMOS opamp like the LM741, there is a trick to minimize input offset current effects (which can be worse than input offset voltage effects on some opamps). When you show us your schematic, we can look to see if you are using this trick correctly.

ecestar said:
please

can anyone give me clearly information about Op Amp Offset Voltage

with simple example and rule to explain that becaus i was found diffecalt to understsnd it .
For open loop

Vout = A{V+ - V- - Voffset]

If you build a voltage follower with gain of 1 (wire from Vout to V-), and ground the positive input, the output voltage is equal to the offset voltage.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
How can you do that? If you have the schematic on your PC screen, you can press Alt-PrintScreen on most computers, and that will store a "screenshot" of the active window to the Windows Clipboard. Then go into an application like "Paint", and paste it in. Save it as a JPG file, or convert to PDF, and upload it here as an attachment (careful of the size -- there are limitations to upload file size). If the file is too big to upload, store it on an outside server or your own website, and post a link to it here.

Also, with an older non-CMOS opamp like the LM741, there is a trick to minimize input offset current effects (which can be worse than input offset voltage effects on some opamps). When you show us your schematic, we can look to see if you are using this trick correctly.

i don't software to draw this circut can u give me one

and i need example to show me the mean of offset please

ecestar said:
and i need example to show me the mean of offset please

Google is your friend. Learn to use it. I Googled the following (type it in the Google search box):

opamp input offset voltage tutorial

And Google came back asking if I meant:

op amp input offset voltage tutorial

to which I answered OK. Here is the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=op+amp+input+offset+voltage+tutorial&spell=1

There are many good hits, including a tutorial on your LM741 opamp (that's how I usually spell opamp, not op amp) as the first hit. Hope that helps.

1. What is offset voltage in an op amp?

Offset voltage is a small, constant voltage that is present at the output of an op amp even when the input is zero. It is caused by mismatches in the op amp's internal components and can affect the accuracy of the output signal.

2. Why is it important to understand op amp offset voltage?

Understanding offset voltage is important because it can cause errors in the output signal of an op amp, especially in precision applications. By understanding the rules and examples of offset voltage, engineers can design circuits that minimize its impact and improve the overall performance of their systems.

3. How can I measure offset voltage in an op amp?

The most common method for measuring offset voltage is using a multimeter and a voltage source. By applying a known input voltage and measuring the output, the offset voltage can be calculated as the difference between the expected output and the actual output.

4. Can offset voltage be eliminated completely?

No, offset voltage cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized through careful circuit design, component selection, and calibration. Some op amps also have built-in features, such as auto-zeroing, that can reduce the impact of offset voltage.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect offset voltage in an op amp?

Yes, besides internal mismatches, temperature changes, power supply variations, and input common-mode voltage can also affect offset voltage in an op amp. It is important to consider these factors and design the circuit accordingly to minimize their impact on offset voltage.