Op-Amp Precision Diode: Eliminating Voltage Drop

In summary, this circuit has a voltage follower that is corrected for the voltage drop between the input and output.
Bassalisk
[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/3deef3b185bf6b18007a25ddc18ce7d5.jpg

So I have another thread running on op-amps, and while waiting for mr. Jiggy to come back online, I want to ask another op-amp question.

This precision diode. I understand what is the point, and why it is so useful. Eliminating that pesky voltage drop on diode, when rectifying <0.6 voltages is very nice.

But all in all I do not understand how it works. I've searched the internet high and low, very little answers.

So here is my current viewing:(and questions)

From the picture I see that the input is connected to the non-inverting lead. This makes the output conduct when the sine wave is in the positive part.

Because of that feedback, we have a simple voltage follower, correct?

But here is the thing. Don't we have that voltage drop, we are trying to eliminate still at the output?

How is this negative feedback correcting?

Any help would be appreciated, these op-amps are so versatile I cannot believe it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The + and - op-amp inputs will be at the same voltage, provided that the + input is positive. The op-amp output terminal supplies a positive current, and so will be 0.6V above those inputs due to the diode. But the output from the circuit you have shown will be 0.6V below the op-amp output -- in other words, it will be the same as the voltages at the op-amp inputs. So, there is no (significant) drop between the input and output of the circuit.

Redbelly98 said:
The + and - op-amp inputs will be at the same voltage, provided that the + input is positive. The op-amp output terminal supplies a positive current, and so will be 0.6V above those inputs due to the diode. But the output from the circuit you have shown will be 0.6V below the op-amp output -- in other words, it will be the same as the voltages at the op-amp inputs. So, there is no (significant) drop between the input and output of the circuit.

But why do input pins have to be at the same potential(voltage). I just can't understand that. I have another post running to answer that question...

What causes this behaviour of op-amp?

1. What is an Op-Amp Precision Diode?

An Op-Amp Precision Diode is a specialized type of operational amplifier (op-amp) circuit that functions as a diode, allowing current to flow in only one direction while minimizing the voltage drop across the diode.

2. How does an Op-Amp Precision Diode eliminate voltage drop?

The op-amp in the circuit is configured to have a high open-loop gain, which allows it to compensate for the voltage drop across the diode. This results in a virtually zero voltage drop across the diode, making it ideal for precision applications.

3. What are the advantages of using an Op-Amp Precision Diode?

The main advantage of using an Op-Amp Precision Diode is its ability to eliminate voltage drop, making it highly accurate and reliable for precision applications. It also has a low forward voltage drop, high input impedance, and low reverse leakage current.

4. Where are Op-Amp Precision Diodes commonly used?

Op-Amp Precision Diodes are commonly used in applications where accuracy and precision are critical, such as in measurement and instrumentation circuits, precision power supplies, and sensor signal conditioning circuits.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using Op-Amp Precision Diodes?

One limitation of Op-Amp Precision Diodes is their high cost compared to regular diodes. They also require careful selection and configuration to ensure proper operation and may be sensitive to temperature changes. Additionally, they may have a limited current rating and may not be suitable for high power applications.