Solving for Output Voltage of Op Amp

In summary: That's the idea. Do the calculation and then state why in actuality the value will be "truncated" by the limits imposed by the power source.Thank you so much!
rzn972

Homework Statement

What is the output voltage for an op amp whose non-inverting input is connected to ground and its inverting-input voltage is 4mv? Assume that the op-amp open-loop gain is 2*10^5 and its supply voltage is Vcc=10V

Homework Equations

Vo= A(vp-vn)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem gives
Vn= 4mv
A=2*10^5
Vcc=10V
Since it says the non-inverting input is connected to ground, does that mean vp=0?
Vo=2*10^5(0-.004V)
Vo=-800 V
However the answer is suppose to be -10V. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
rzn972 said:

Homework Statement

What is the output voltage for an op amp whose non-inverting input is connected to ground and its inverting-input voltage is 4mv? Assume that the op-amp open-loop gain is 2*10^5 and its supply voltage is Vcc=10V

Homework Equations

Vo= A(vp-vn)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem gives
Vn= 4mv
A=2*10^5
Vcc=10V
Since it says the non-inverting input is connected to ground, does that mean vp=0?
Vo=2*10^5(0-.004V)
Vo=-800 V
However the answer is suppose to be -10V. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for helping!

Can the output of an op-amp ever exceed its power supply voltages (positive and negative supplies)?

Ahh, I see so the max Vo is 10 and min Vo is -10. So is what I did wrong? Do I have the write down that calulated vo= -800 but say the min is -10V.

rzn972 said:
Ahh, I see so the max Vo is 10 and min Vo is -10. So is what I did wrong? Do I have the write down that calulated vo= -800 but say the min is -10V.

That's the idea. Do the calculation and then state why in actuality the value will be "truncated" by the limits imposed by the power source.

Thank you so much!

What is an operational amplifier (op amp)?

An operational amplifier, or op amp, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high input impedance, high gain, and low output impedance, making it useful for a variety of applications in electronics and signal processing.

How do you solve for the output voltage of an op amp?

To solve for the output voltage of an op amp, you can use the basic formula Vout = A * (V+ - V-), where A is the gain of the op amp and V+ and V- are the input voltages at the non-inverting and inverting terminals, respectively. However, this formula assumes ideal conditions and may need to be adjusted for non-ideal op amps.

What is the ideal gain of an op amp?

The ideal gain of an op amp is infinite, meaning that it can amplify the input voltage to any desired level. However, in real op amps, the gain is limited and can vary depending on factors such as frequency and temperature.

What are the common applications of op amps?

Op amps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including signal conditioning, filtering, amplification, and mathematical operations such as integration and differentiation. They are also commonly used in audio and instrumentation circuits.

How can I ensure accuracy when solving for the output voltage of an op amp?

To ensure accuracy when solving for the output voltage of an op amp, it is important to use the correct formula for the specific op amp being used, taking into account any non-ideal characteristics. It is also important to consider the input and output impedances and any external components in the circuit that may affect the output voltage. Simulation software can also be useful for predicting and verifying the output voltage of an op amp circuit.