How can an Op Amp voltage comparator be used as a voltage controlled switch?

In summary, you would need to use a comparator with hysteresis, and an inverter to ensure that one switch stays ON while the other is OFF.
Daniel Floyd
Hi

I am trying to create a circuit which i can use as a voltage controlled switch.

I have 2 voltage inputs,

** A constant 3V source V1,

** A source which charges up to 3.5V and then slowly discharges V2.

I would like to amalgamate both sources so as when V2 discharges below 3V the V1 will be used allowing V2 to charge back up to 3.5V e.t.c

I have done some research and i believe that an Op Amp voltage comparator can be used for this and believe that i can implement the LM393 but am struggling to design a circuit that can do this operation.

Can any help and explain how this can be achieved.

Engineering news on Phys.org
forgot to mention this must be low power my V2 supply is 50mA and 3.5V Maximum (switches on and off thus super capacitor charging circuit)

can anybody help with this its pretty urgent ?

You could probably use a 555 timer for this. It has the basic functionality you want. There are a MILLION circuits on the web using this part. It's a classic analog circuit.

But how could 3V source will be able to charge V2 up to 3.5V?

Jony130 said:
But how could 3V source will be able to charge V2 up to 3.5V?

Oh you don't have a power supply? I thought V1 and V2 were inputs. Hmm... this is unusual requirement... I think I get it now.

The problem with using an op amp-based voltage comparator is it won't have any headroom because you don't have a power supply. You need an analog voting circuit where the higher voltage of the two gets passed to the output. Try googling that I guess.

Daniel Floyd said:
Hi

I am trying to create a circuit which i can use as a voltage controlled switch.

I have 2 voltage inputs,

** A constant 3V source V1,

** A source which charges up to 3.5V and then slowly discharges V2.

I would like to amalgamate both sources so as when V2 discharges below 3V the V1 will be used allowing V2 to charge back up to 3.5V e.t.c

I have done some research and i believe that an Op Amp voltage comparator can be used for this and believe that i can implement the LM393 but am struggling to design a circuit that can do this operation.

Can any help and explain how this can be achieved.
A MOSFET from each supply could be used as a pair of voltage-controlled switches, their control signal coming from the comparator. Include an inverter so one MOSFET is OFF whilever the other is ON.

The comparator should have some hysteresis (implemented using positive feedback) so it switches when V2 falls below 3V but doesn't switch over again until V2 has risen to almost 3.5V

Do you have an independent power supply to power the comparator and the switching circuit, or will this need to be powered by the fixed 3V source?

What is an Op Amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the voltage difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for signal processing, amplification, and other functions.

How does an Op Amp work?

An op amp is typically composed of multiple transistors, resistors, and capacitors. It works by amplifying the difference between the voltages on its two input terminals and outputting a voltage that is proportional to this difference. The output voltage can be further controlled and manipulated by adding external components.

What are the main characteristics of an Op Amp?

The main characteristics of an op amp include high gain, high input impedance, low output impedance, and a large bandwidth. These characteristics allow the op amp to accurately amplify and process a wide range of input signals.

What is the difference between an Op Amp and a voltage comparator?

An op amp and a voltage comparator are both electronic components that amplify voltage differences. However, a voltage comparator has a specific function of comparing two input voltages and outputting a logic signal based on their relative magnitudes, whereas an op amp can perform a wider range of functions.

What are the common applications of Op Amps?

Op amps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including audio amplifiers, signal filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in various measurement and testing equipment.