How Can an Op-Amp and Diode be Used to Convert 12V to 5V for a PIR Detector?

In summary: I am not sure about the inverting side this looks like it is held low at...The inverting input is held low by R1 and R2.
topcat123

Homework Statement

FIGURE 3 (on page 7) shows a PIR (passive infra-red) detector and its
associated amplifier, as used in burglar alarm systems1.

(a) The detector is powered from a 12 V unregulated supply that needs
to be stepped down to 5 V. Design a suitable 12-to-5 V voltage
converter using an op-amp and a diode that has the forward
characteristics given in FIGURE 3(b).

(b) Estimate the quiescent voltages at the inputs and outputs of the two
op-amps and the overall voltage gain (in decibels) of the circuit at the
frequency of operation. State any assumptions made.

Homework Equations

[itex]V_-=V_o\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/itex]
Vo = GV (V+ – V–)
Vd = V+

The Attempt at a Solution

I think pic 2 is the circuit they are asking for.
as for the rest.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 481
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    3.6 KB · Views: 482
  • pic3.PNG
    pic3.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your actual question?

Why don't you give the problem your best shot...

(a)
If we work with a forward voltage VD of 320mV this means the diode would require a forward current If of 1mA. The resister R3 would be requred to drop the remanig voltage and limit the current through the diode
[tex]R_3 = \frac{5-0.32}{0.001}=4.68K[/tex]
The voltage at V_ and V+ must be equal when the system is balance at the required output voltage.
[tex]V_D = V_+[/tex]
The inverting input is worked out as R1 and R2 form a potential divider.
[tex]V_o=V_D\frac{R_1+R_2}{R_2}=5[/tex]
[tex]\frac{V_D}{V_O}=\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2}=\frac{0.32}{5}=0.064[/tex]
So if we give R2 a value of “1” we can find the ratio of R2 to R1.
[tex]\frac{1}{0.064}-1=14.625[/tex]
So if we give R2 3.3k then R1 will be 48k

As for part (b) I don't know where to star

topcat123 said:
(a)
If we work with a forward voltage VD of 320mV this means the diode would require a forward current If of 1mA. The resister R3 would be requred to drop the remanig voltage and limit the current through the diode
[tex]R_3 = \frac{5-0.32}{0.001}=4.68K[/tex]
The voltage at V_ and V+ must be equal when the system is balance at the required output voltage.
[tex]V_D = V_+[/tex]
The inverting input is worked out as R1 and R2 form a potential divider.
[tex]V_o=V_D\frac{R_1+R_2}{R_2}=5[/tex]
[tex]\frac{V_D}{V_O}=\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2}=\frac{0.32}{5}=0.064[/tex]
So if we give R2 a value of “1” we can find the ratio of R2 to R1.
[tex]\frac{1}{0.064}-1=14.625[/tex]
So if we give R2 3.3k then R1 will be 48k
All very well done for part (a).
As for part (b) I don't know where to star
As for part (b) you haven't given us the frequency of operation so can't do part (b).
Can you flip the image 90 deg for us?
Since they're asking for voltage gain you also have to define the input point. The overall circuit gain is volts/watt or volts/lumen or similar with infrared input quantity.

rude man said:
As for part (b) you haven't given us the frequency of operation so can't do part (b).
Can you flip the image 90 deg for us?
Since they're asking for voltage gain you also have to define the input point. The overall circuit gain is volts/watt or volts/lumen or similar with infrared input quantity.

assuming they don't give you a frequency, you might need to make it generic (the answer will simply have f as a parameter).

No frequencies are given.
That all the info I have been given.
Although it says state any assumptions.
I assume the RC feedback is some kind of high or low pass filter. I really don't know where to start.
Thanks for you help.

topcat123 said:
No frequencies are given.
That all the info I have been given.
Although it says state any assumptions.
I assume the RC feedback is some kind of high or low pass filter. I really don't know where to start.
Thanks for you help.
I would first calculate the operating points at DC.

Information I found on the web is saying PIR sensors operate in the 1 Hz range. You could calculate it there.
Is this for a homework problem. you can ask your professor for clarification. Or like I said earlier calculate as a function of frequency.

donpacino said:

Information I found on the web is saying PIR sensors operate in the 1 Hz range. You could calculate it there.
Is this for a homework problem. you can ask your professor for clarification. Or like I said earlier calculate as a function of frequency.
if you really don't know where to start, maybe do nodal anlysis or some other system at DC (at dc capacitors are open circuit). It should be easy to find the voltages at the IOs of the op amps.

I really don't have a clue.

so R1and R2 form a potential divider giving 2V at the non-inverting inputs of X3 and X1

but I am not sure about the inverting side this looks like it is held low at 0V

topcat123 said:
I really don't have a clue.

so R1and R2 form a potential divider giving 2V at the non-inverting inputs of X3 and X1

but I am not sure about the inverting side this looks like it is held low at 0V
there is a property of op-amps that states with negative feedback the inverting and non inverting terminals will be equal

donpacino said:

I think, the whole circuit resembles a kind of bandpass amplifier. Why not using the mid frequency Fo as operating frequency?
A circuit simulation can give the value of Fo.

LvW said:
I think, the whole circuit resembles a kind of bandpass amplifier. Why not using the mid frequency Fo as operating frequency?
A circuit simulation can give the value of Fo.
that could work (assuming the circuit is properly designed/tuned). I assume op is supposed to do this analytically.

topcat123 said:
(a) The detector is powered from a 12 V unregulated supply that needs
to be stepped down to 5 V. Design a suitable 12-to-5 V voltage
converter using an op-amp and a diode that has the forward
characteristics given in FIGURE 3(b).

There is no requirement to use that specific circuit is there ?

There are other ways of doing the same thing and some of these other ways will certainly be easier to analyse .

Nidum said:
There is no requirement to use that specific circuit is there ?

There are other ways of doing the same thing and some of these other ways will certainly be easier to analyse .
This looks like a homework problem. I doubt a "solution" would be resdesign the problem.

1. What is an Op-amp voltage regulator?

An Op-amp voltage regulator is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) and other components to maintain a constant output voltage despite changes in the input voltage or load. It is commonly used in power supply circuits to provide a stable and reliable voltage to power electronic devices.

2. How does an Op-amp voltage regulator work?

An Op-amp voltage regulator works by comparing the output voltage to a reference voltage and adjusting the output voltage accordingly. The op-amp acts as a high-gain amplifier and uses feedback to adjust the output voltage to match the reference voltage. This allows for a stable and precise output voltage, even with varying input voltages or loads.

3. What are the advantages of using an Op-amp voltage regulator?

There are several advantages to using an Op-amp voltage regulator, including its ability to provide a stable output voltage, its high efficiency, and its low output ripple. It also has a wide input voltage range and can handle high current loads. Additionally, Op-amp voltage regulators are relatively inexpensive and easy to design and implement.

4. What are the common applications of Op-amp voltage regulators?

Op-amp voltage regulators are commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and reliable power supply, such as computer systems, telecommunication equipment, and audio amplifiers. They are also used in industrial and automotive applications where precise voltage regulation is necessary.

5. What are the potential issues with Op-amp voltage regulators?

One potential issue with Op-amp voltage regulators is the potential for instability and oscillation if not designed properly. This can lead to fluctuations in the output voltage and affect the performance of connected devices. Another issue is the dropout voltage, which is the minimum voltage required for the regulator to maintain a stable output. If the input voltage drops below the dropout voltage, the output voltage will also decrease. It is important to carefully select the right components and design the circuit correctly to avoid these issues.