Op-Amp Troubleshooting: Our Keep Railing Issue

• Thread starter Sirius24
  • Start date
In summary: If you want to use it in single supply operation like that, you will need to use a non-inverting configuration.
Sirius24
I am working on a circuit with someone and our op-amps keep railing. Even when just working with the op-amp, on its own, with an inverting configuration in negative feedback, everything rails. From my understanding, there should be a gain equal to the feedbak resistance divided by the input resistance, but I am not seeing this. It always rails. Does anyone know why it might do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sirius24 said:
I am working on a circuit with someone and our op-amps keep railing. Even when just working with the op-amp, on its own, with an inverting configuration in negative feedback, everything rails. From my understanding, there should be a gain equal to the feedbak resistance divided by the input resistance, but I am not seeing this. It always rails. Does anyone know why it might do this?

Can you post some of your circuit configurations? Which opamp, and what supply rails? If you are using split power supply rails (like +/-12V), what does the output do when you hook up the opamp in a buffer configuration (- input = output) with the + input grounded?

berkeman said:
Can you post some of your circuit configurations? Which opamp, and what supply rails? If you are using split power supply rails (like +/-12V), what does the output do when you hook up the opamp in a buffer configuration (- input = output) with the + input grounded?

The op-amp is an LM358 with rails at 0 V and 12 V.
With an any sort of input, I am receiving a 10.9 V output.

Attachments

• Inverting Amp.PNG
    Inverting Amp.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 414
Sirius24 said:
The op-amp is an LM358 with rails at 0 V and 12 V.
With an any sort of input, I am receiving a 10.9 V output.

If you want to use it in single supply operation like that, you will need to use a non-inverting configuration. You are trying to run an inverting amp above ground with positive input voltages? What happens if you set Vin to -0.1V?

With all the lines we have going everywhere, it would be difficult to move things to test at -0.1V, but switching from inverting to non-inverting fixed the problem. Thank you.

~Sirius

Sirius24 said:
With all the lines we have going everywhere, it would be difficult to move things to test at -0.1V, but switching from inverting to non-inverting fixed the problem. Thank you.

~Sirius

Out of curiosity, though. Why can't an inverting case work for 0 to positive rails?

The non-inverting input should go to a "virtual ground" made from two identical series resistors connected across the 12 V power source.

The bottom resistor should be bypassed and the + input connected to the 6 V centre point of the two resistors.

4.7 K resistors would be OK as a start.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opamp%20bias.PNG

If you want the input to include zero volts, there will need to be a negative as well as a positive supply.

This is just because of the internal construction of the opamp. The inputs and output connect to transistors which have voltage drops across them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be possible to make a differential amplifier go from ground to positive rail by putting V-at zero and making absolute ground into virtual ground?

Attachments

• Differential Amplifier.PNG
    Differential Amplifier.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 469
Sirius24 said:
Would it be possible to make a differential amplifier go from ground to positive rail by putting V-at zero and making absolute ground into virtual ground?

What are the range of voltages for V1 and V2 where that might work? Refer to vk6kro's post...

Sirius24 said:

You would have to look at the internal circuitry of the amplifier.

If an input results in a transistor's base-emitter junction being reverse biased, or not biased at all, then the output will certainly be unacceptable.

Usually this happens if the input is within 0.5 volts of the negative supply, although certain opamps ( like the LM324) have special circuitry that does allow the inputs to become zero or even slightly negative even with single voltage power supplies.

When you realize what a differential op amp actually does, then then vk6ro's cirircuit modification says it all. It amplifies the difference between the input voltage on the - terminal and the 'reference voltage', on the + terminal (which has been given a value of half rail volts). This is just what you want: an inverting amplifier which will give you the gain equal to the ratio of feedback resistor to the input circuit resistance.
There's no need to discuss the minutiae of the internal circuitry of an individual chip in order to get a working circuit. An op amp does exactly what it says on the tin.

1. What is an Op-Amp and how does it work?

An Op-Amp (operational amplifier) is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It typically has two inputs, one positive and one negative, and one output. It works by using a high-gain differential amplifier to amplify the voltage difference between the inputs.

2. What is the "Keep Railing Issue" in Op-Amps?

The "Keep Railing Issue" in Op-Amps refers to the problem of the output voltage getting stuck at the maximum or minimum value, even when the input signals are changing. This can be caused by various factors such as incorrect feedback resistor values, power supply issues, or internal circuitry problems.

3. How can I troubleshoot the "Keep Railing Issue" in Op-Amps?

To troubleshoot the "Keep Railing Issue" in Op-Amps, you can follow these steps:

1. Check the power supply: Make sure the Op-Amp is receiving the correct voltage and that the power supply is stable.
  2. Check the feedback network: Make sure the feedback resistors are the correct values and are connected properly.
  3. Check for short circuits: Inspect the circuit for any short circuits that may be causing the issue.
  4. Use a different Op-Amp: If possible, try using a different Op-Amp to see if the issue persists.
If none of these steps solve the problem, it may be a sign of a faulty Op-Amp that needs to be replaced.

4. Can I prevent the "Keep Railing Issue" from happening in the future?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent the "Keep Railing Issue" from happening in the future. These include:

1. Using high-quality Op-Amps from reputable manufacturers.
  2. Double-checking the values of feedback resistors before connecting them.
  3. Ensuring a stable power supply and using decoupling capacitors to filter out noise.
  4. Properly grounding the circuit and minimizing the length of signal traces.
Following these precautions can help prevent the "Keep Railing Issue" and other circuit problems.

5. Are there any other common issues with Op-Amps that I should be aware of?

Yes, aside from the "Keep Railing Issue", there are other common issues that can arise with Op-Amps, such as:

1. Instability: This can cause the output voltage to oscillate or become noisy, and can be caused by improper feedback networks or insufficient decoupling.
  2. Offset errors: These occur when the output voltage is not zero when the input is zero, and can be caused by mismatches in the Op-Amp's internal circuitry.
  3. Input bias currents: These can cause errors in the output voltage and are caused by the tiny currents that flow into the inputs of the Op-Amp.
Knowing about these common issues can help you troubleshoot and prevent problems in your Op-Amp circuits.