Calculating Unknown Voltages on Op Amp Circuits

• Thread starter j172
  • Start date
In summary: R/R*1+R/(R/2)*V_2 )So is there another step to this because this equation doesn't give V_2. do you transpose it ?It doesn't?Can you elaborate please
j172
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums (moved from EE)
Hi everybody!

This is my first post as I am needing some help in a question I am struggling with. Not looking for answers, just some guidance in the right direction.

Homework Statement

[/B]
I need to calculate the unknown, highlighted, voltages on the op amp circuits (attached).

Assume all op-amps are ideal

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the following so far:

a) Inverting
A=-Rf/Ri =(-100)/10=-10
Vi =I1*R1 =0.00001*100000=1 V
Vo=(-Rf/Ri )*Vi
Vo =1*-10
Vo =-10 V

b) Summing
Vo=-(Rf/R_1 V_1+Rf/R_2 V_2 )
-2=(Rf/R_1 1+Rf/(R/2) V_2 )

c) Non-inverting
V1 =V2
V1 =100 mV
V2 =100 mV

d) Current to Voltage
Vo=-I1*Rf
Vo =-0.0002*10000=-2
Vo =-2 V

I am struggling the (b). I can't see how to calculate given only one value, and also with (c)

Many thanks in advance, happy to discuss the methods.

Joel

Attachments

• Op Amps Question.png
    Op Amps Question.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For A, Note that the voltage at both inputs to the op amp are equal, and at ground.
For B, I have 1R-2R+x(R/2)=0
For C & D, we agree.

j172 said:
a) Inverting
A=-Rf/Ri =(-100)/10=-10
Vi =I1*R1 =0.00001*100000=1 V
You have R1 wrong.
b) Summing
Vo=-(Rf/R V_1+Rf/R_2 V_2 )
-2=(Rf/R 1+Rf/(R/2) V_2 )
correct (I took out the "Rf" , should be just "R" everywhere)
c) Non-inverting
V1 =V2
V1 =100 mV
V2 =100 mV
Right.
d) Current to Voltage
Vo=-I1*Rf
Vo =-0.0002*10000=-2
Vo =-2 V
Right
I am struggling the (b). I can't see how to calculate given only one value, and also with (c)
The R's cancel. There is nothing more to do with (c) than you have already done.

Likes j172
Thank you very much for your help

b) Summing
Vo=-(R/R*V_1+R/R*V_2 )
-2=(R/R*1+R/(R/2)*V_2 )

So is there another step to this because this equation doesn't give V_2. do you transpose it ?

Last edited:
rob1985 said:
b) Summing
-2=(R/R*1+R/(R/2)*V_2 )
So is there another step to this because this equation doesn't give V_2. do you transpose it ?
It doesn't?

can you elaborate please

rob1985 said:
can you elaborate please
Well let's see - you have one equation with 1 unknown.
If this is difficult I really am at a loss as to what to hint next, so I must perforce cease from further such.

b is 1/2 volt

rob1985 said:
b is 1/2 volt
As a check, substitute your answer into the original equation to ensure that your answer does indeed make both sides of the equation equal.

1. What is an opamp?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device used to amplify and process signals. It typically has two inputs and one output, and can be configured in various ways to perform different functions such as amplification, filtering, and voltage regulation.

2. How do opamps work?

Opamps work by using a high-gain differential amplifier to amplify the voltage difference between its two inputs. The output voltage is then determined by the input voltage difference and a feedback mechanism, which can be controlled by external components to achieve different functions.

3. What are the common applications of opamps?

Opamps are widely used in electronic circuits for various applications, including signal processing, audio amplification, instrumentation, and control systems. They are also commonly used in mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, integration, and differentiation.

4. How can unknown values of opamps be determined?

To determine unknown values of opamps, you can use techniques such as circuit analysis, simulation, and experimentation. These methods involve applying known input signals and measuring the output to calculate the unknown parameters, such as gain, bandwidth, and input/output impedance.

5. What are some common challenges when working with opamps?

Some common challenges when working with opamps include noise, stability, and non-ideal characteristics such as offset voltage and input bias current. Careful circuit design and selection of appropriate opamp specifications can help mitigate these challenges.