Understanding Common Mode Rejection Ratio (CMRR) in Op-Amps

• Thread starter lkari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using an opamp component and understanding its data sheet. The main topics discussed are the input voltage requirements and the common mode voltage range. The speakers also address the difference between V+ and V-IN and the ideal amplification for an opamp.
lkari
So if we have a Opamp component, do we have to give the input as sine wave or as a dc supply? I think it has to be at a DC voltage. please correct me.
Thanks in Advance
Lakshmi

Engineering news on Phys.org

Most opamps will amplify a sinusoidal or dc signal.

So I can get a constant OUTPUT DC current with this opamp rt?

Reading a datasheet

Hi I need to understand few things about the Datasheet. I want to know what the input voltages for the pins vIN+ and VIN-could be. Please find teh enclosed datasheet for reference. I need it very urgently for a project.
Thank you in advance
Kari

Attachments

• opa547.pdf
    925.5 KB · Views: 330

Look at the item marked "common mode voltage range" in the datasheet.

I reffered to it but, what do they mean by saying the following there? (V+) –3

(I merged the two related threads into one -- both were about the opamp datasheet)

lkari said:
So if we have a Opamp component, do we have to give the input as sine wave or as a dc supply? I think it has to be at a DC voltage. please correct me.
Thanks in Advance
Lakshmi

If you mean V+ or V-, those should be DC voltage supplies.

If you mean V+IN and V-IN, it could be either AC or DC ... depends on the application.

(Refering to figure on p. 1 of the datasheet:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17873&d=1236355902 )

i really don't understand why they are on the same subject. one is about the circuit the other is about reading the data sheet for the component.

<< post edited by berkeman to clean up txt speak >>

Last edited by a moderator:

lkari said:
I reffered to it but, what do they mean by saying the following there? (V+) –3

ideally, you want an op-amp to amplify only the difference between Vin+ and Vin-, not to amplify the average of Vin+ and Vin-. the higher the common mode rejection ratio, the closer you are to this ideal. to get the best rated performance for this op-amp, keep the inputs between (V-) - 0.1, and (V+) -3V.

1. What is the purpose of the Opa547 datasheet?

The Opa547 datasheet is a technical document that provides detailed information about the specifications, features, and applications of the Opa547 operational amplifier. It is used by engineers, researchers, and electronics enthusiasts to understand the capabilities and limitations of the Opa547 and design circuits using it.

2. What is the operating voltage range of the Opa547?

The Opa547 can operate with a supply voltage range of ±2.25V to ±18V. It also has a wide output voltage swing of ±13.5V, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

3. What is the gain bandwidth product of the Opa547?

The Opa547 has a typical gain bandwidth product of 2.5MHz, with a minimum of 1.5MHz and a maximum of 3.5MHz. This high gain bandwidth product allows for stable and accurate amplification of signals in a wide frequency range.

4. Does the Opa547 have thermal shutdown protection?

Yes, the Opa547 has built-in thermal shutdown protection that automatically turns off the amplifier if the temperature exceeds a safe limit. This feature helps to prevent damage to the device and ensures safe operation.

5. Can the Opa547 be used for audio applications?

While the Opa547 is primarily designed for industrial and instrumentation applications, it can also be used for audio applications. Its high slew rate, low noise, and wide bandwidth make it suitable for amplifying audio signals with high fidelity.