Opamp Circuit: Finding Voltage at Resistor and Power Supplied

In summary: But the voltage and current were in phase, so the power supplied is positive. Read the problem carefully and see what it is asking for.
brk51

Homework Statement

screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-4-42-42-pm-png.198248.png

Homework Equations

V_- = V_+

The Attempt at a Solution

There is negative feed back so V- =V+ ... Vout is then equal to the voltage at the positive terminal

So the solution does a voltage divider... finding the voltage at the 4.62 ohm resistor..
However I did KCL at Vo...i1 = i2(i1 being the current going into the positive terminal and i2 being the current flowing down towards the resistor) ====> ((Vo - 10<0)/ j8) = Vo/4.62 ...my final answer for Vo was 5<60 or 2.5 +j4.33..where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.42.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.42.42 PM.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.42.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 4.42.42 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 389
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brk51,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

brk51 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 198279

Homework Equations

V_- = V_+

The Attempt at a Solution

There is negative feed back so V- =V+ ... Vout is then equal to the voltage at the positive terminal

So the solution does a voltage divider... finding the voltage at the 4.62 ohm resistor..
However I did KCL at Vo...i1 = i2(i1 being the current going into the positive terminal and i2 being the current flowing down towards the resistor) ====> ((Vo - 10<0)/ j8) = Vo/4.62 ...my final answer for Vo was 5<60 or 2.5 +j4.33..where did I go wrong?
Your node equation is not correct. On the left side you have the current flowing from the node through the inductor to the source, and on the right you have the current flowing from the node through the resistor. They can't both be flowing out if they are on opposite sides of the equation, since that leaves nothing flowing into the node. You're bound to end up with a sign error.

The way to avoid this sort of slip is to always write all the terms on one side of the equation and set the other side to zero. Choose one direction for the current terms, either all treated as flowing into the node or all flowing out of the node. The math will take care of itself.

So if we take what you've already done and write it as a sum of currents flowing out of the node we have:

##\frac{Vo - 10∠0}{j8} + \frac{Vo}{4.62} = 0##

Gotcha! So correct answer for Vo should be 5<-60.. then for the second part..finding the power supplied by the Vs --- (10<0 - Vo)/(j8) = I1

Power supplied by source = ((-V * I)/2) cos(thetav - thetai) --- the negative sign because it's supplying (think I might have this wrong..) and divided by two because these are not RMS values...>>>> thetav = 0 theta i = -60..thus cos(60) >>> so ((10)*(1.082))/2) * cos(60) = 2.7 W or -2.7 W ??

Last edited:
Did you get that ## \omega=2 ## for this problem and ## L=4 ## so that ## Z_L=j \omega L=j(2)(4) ##? ## V_s=10 ##... Homework helpers are not allowed to give the answer. Please show your work and it would be easier to comment on.

Charles Link said:
Did you get that ## \omega=2 ## for this problem and ## L=4 ## so that ## Z_L=j \omega L=j(2)(4) ##? ## V_s=10 ##... Homework helpers are not allowed to give the answer. Please show your work and it would be easier to comment on.
yes.. and see my post above

I would just write ## V_R=V_s (R/(R+j \omega L)) ##. This one is very straightforward. It's an op-amp buffer circuit and no current flows through(i.e. across the infinite input impedance of) the ideal op-amp.

Charles Link said:
I would just write ## V_R=V_s (R/(R+j \omega L)) ##. This one is very straightforward. It's an op-amp buffer circuit and no current flows through the ideal op-amp.
Thats what the solution did, easy v-divider..but I just went with my first instinct...

However, my question is now on part 2>>> I got Psupplied = (10)*(1.082))/2) * cos(60) = 2.7 W

Likes Charles Link
The voltage across the resistor is in phase with the current. There is no power loss in the inductor. You just need to compute ## P=V_R^2/(2R) ##. (The factor 2 in the denominator to make it r.m.s. of ## V_R^2 ##.) You could also take the r.m.s. voltage out of the source multiplied by the r.m.s. current and multiplied by the cosine of the phase angle, but the first method is quicker. They should give the same result in both cases. ## \\ ## I think my arithmetic is correct, and it agrees with your answer that ## P=2.7 ## W.

Last edited:
Gracias... last question.. if it is asking for power supplied..does that mean the 2.7 W is negative? How do you know when to make it negative?

brk51 said:
Gracias... last question.. if it is asking for power supplied..does that mean the 2.7 W is negative? How do you know when to make it negative?
Very rarely will power go into the source. When that occurs, the power supplied is negative. I think if the phase angle between the voltage and current had been in the 2nd or 3rd quadrant, the power supplied would be negative.

Likes brk51

1. What is an opamp circuit and how does it work?

An opamp circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (opamp) to amplify and process electrical signals. The opamp is a high-gain, differential amplifier that takes in two input signals and produces a single output signal that is a function of the two inputs. It works by using a feedback loop to adjust the output signal in response to changes in the input signals.

2. What are the basic components of an opamp circuit?

The basic components of an opamp circuit include an operational amplifier, resistors, capacitors, and power supply. The opamp is the main component that amplifies the input signals, while the resistors and capacitors are used to set the gain and frequency response of the circuit. The power supply provides the necessary voltage for the circuit to function.

3. What are the different types of opamp circuits?

There are several types of opamp circuits, including inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, differential amplifiers, integrators, differentiators, and filters. Each type of circuit has a specific function and can be used in a variety of electronic devices and systems.

4. How do I choose the right opamp circuit for my application?

The right opamp circuit for your application will depend on several factors, including the desired gain, frequency response, and input and output signal requirements. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a knowledgeable engineer to select the best circuit for your specific needs.

5. What are some common applications of opamp circuits?

Opamp circuits are commonly used in a wide range of electronic devices and systems, including audio amplifiers, signal processing circuits, power supplies, and sensors. They are also used in more complex circuits, such as analog-to-digital converters and feedback control systems.