1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opamp ckt with temp sensor

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to figure out how this ckt works. But no idea, where to even begin.
    see attachment tp.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q1 is diode connected. The Vbe temperature dependence is amplified to indicate the temperature. -2mV/ deg C
    Gain is about 50.
    I simplified the ckt to the one in pdf attachment.
    The -15v is added to inverting terminal and -13.85v is added to non-inverting terminal.
    Assuming Vbe is 0.64v at room temp, -13.85 and -0.64v add up to -14.5v
    The difference between invering and non-inverting terminals is 0.5v.
    Can't go any further.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sweet! That circuit is from near the end of National Semiconductor's App Note AN-31, an Opamp Circuit Collection. Classic AN.

Well for one thing, with negative feedback, the voltage between the + and - inputs is most definitely not 0.5V. :smile:

You might have a look at National Semiconductor's AN-56 (which is in the same book as AN-31 if you have it, their "Linear Applications Handbook"). Figure 6 in AN-56 is an Electronic Thermometer opamp circuit, very similar to the one you posted. AN-56 has an explanation of how the circuit works, so that should help you figure out this AN-31 circuit.

Let us know what you figure out! :smile:

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    Okay. That helped.
    I simplified the ckt to the following.
    A 1.2v reference for constant current biasing of temp sensor.
    A -1.2v reference for zeroing.
    I am not sure how the zeroing works. To zero a diode with +1.2v bias, you need another diode or a resistor with its resistance equal to diode resistance with a -1.2v bias. correct?
    I don't know why a 5k pot is used.
    I've attached the AN56 ckt and my simplified ckt pdf.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook