How does the OpAmp bypass Vf limitations in precision rectifiers?

In summary: We take it from the "out" of the Diode bridge IC. So the voltage across the diode is determined by the voltage across the Diode bridge IC, not the OP-AMP output.
Rusag
Hi all,

I am currently studying OpAmps and one of the topics that came up was the applications of OpAmp circuits. In particular, I was learning about precision rectifiers (using non-inverting version of it, thus the diode is pointing away from the "out" terminal of the OpAmp). The thing I cannot figure out is how does the OpAmp bypass the Vf limitations that regular full bridge rectifiers face. In other words, say for V_in = 0, the voltage at the inverting terminal is close to 0 as we assume an ideal device. Therefore, the voltage at the output terminal is 0.7 volts higher than that of the inverting input. My assumption is that if V_in remains at 0, the voltage at the output terminal will stay at 0.7 volts.

To summarize the question, what properties of the OpAmp cause it to create and sustain that voltage difference that keeps the diode "on". Isn't it just easier for the OpAmp to establish 0 volts at the output and thus 0 volts at the inverting input node?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My wording of the question could be confusing as I am trying to learn rather than stating something I know. But I came across this concept multiple times - that the voltage required to turn on the diode is supplied by the OpAmp rather than by the small signal. That is the reason why the precision rectifier is so useful for small signals that barely or don't at all exceed 0.7 volts

Rusag said:
But I came across this concept multiple times - that the voltage required to turn on the diode is supplied by the OpAmp rather than by the small signal. That is the reason why the precision rectifier is so useful for small signals that barely or don't at all exceed 0.7 volts
And that's true. When you examine the circuit you can see that the output of the OP-AMP is not the point from which we take the output of the circuit. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_rectifier

The OP-AMP output will be 0.7V more than the voltage we desire, but we don't take our rectified output from the OP-AMP output pin.

1. What is an OpAmp Precision Rectifier?

An OpAmp Precision Rectifier is a circuit that uses operational amplifiers (OpAmps) to convert alternating current (AC) signals into direct current (DC) signals. It is designed to have a high level of accuracy and precision in its output.

2. How does an OpAmp Precision Rectifier work?

An OpAmp Precision Rectifier works by using a diode and an operational amplifier to rectify the input signal. The diode allows current to flow in only one direction, while the operational amplifier amplifies and inverts the input signal. This results in an output signal that is rectified and amplified.

3. What are the advantages of using an OpAmp Precision Rectifier?

The main advantage of using an OpAmp Precision Rectifier is its high accuracy and precision in converting AC signals to DC signals. It also has a wide frequency range and low output impedance, making it suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, it is a relatively simple and cost-effective circuit to implement.

4. What are some common applications of an OpAmp Precision Rectifier?

An OpAmp Precision Rectifier is commonly used in electronic instrumentation, signal processing, and audio amplification. It can also be used in power supplies, data acquisition systems, and other electronic circuits that require high-precision rectification of AC signals.

5. What are some potential issues to consider when using an OpAmp Precision Rectifier?

Some potential issues to consider when using an OpAmp Precision Rectifier include input offset voltage and current, as well as temperature drift. These factors can affect the accuracy and stability of the output signal. Additionally, care must be taken in the selection and placement of the diode to avoid introducing errors in the rectification process.