Opamp Summing Amplifier: Finding I1, I3 & V2 for Vout = 2V

In summary, the homework equation Vo= - RF ( V1 / R1 + V2 / R2 + V3 / R3) is correct for a three input summing op-amp circuit, but for a two input summing op-amp circuit, Vo= - RF ( V1 / R1 ) is the correct equation.
gazp1988

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-3_20-59-13.png

i know that it is a summing amplifier and i have vout at 2v, however in the question it asks for I1,I2,I3 and V2(vin)
i have I1 and I3 but having trouble working out I2 and V2

Homework Equations

Vo = - RF ( V1 / R1 + V2 / R2 + V3 / R3)

The Attempt at a Solution

when i use this equation and input v2 as 1v i don't get anything close to 2v (vout)

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting aside equations, what do you know about op-amps? In particular, the two inputs?

the two inputs are the sum of vout, as vout =2v i assume v1=1v and v2=1v but when i input these values into my calculator i get -15

If I understand you correctly, I disagree.
Take any op-amp circuit, not your particular circuit and by "input" I'm talking about the IN+ and IN- terminals of the op-amp itself. You know something about the currents and voltages at these inputs.

Edit: Whoops! I don't mean "any op-amp circuit". Sorry, I'm referring to negative feedback amp circuit.

If you forget your inputs for the moment, can you calculate Vin- , Vin+ and I3 here?
opamp1.png

they are 0 at the negative input because of the virtual earth.

I3=0.0002A
vin- =0
vin+=0?

That's what I think. No current flows into or out of the op-amp inputs. The high gain and negative fb ensure that there is a very small difference between their potentials. Since Vin+ is grounded, then Vin- is a "virtual ground".
So you calculated I3, you can calculate I1 the same way, then you know I2 and can calculate V2.

The net result is the same as given by your formula, if applied correctly.

i calculated I1 as 0.001A but having problems calculating I2 as i only know R2

Right. So I3= 0.0002 A and I1= 0.001 A and no current flows into the op amp, so it must go through the 2k resistor.
Or, use Kirchoff's current law at the junction to find I2. Either way be careful with the sign(!)

opamp2.png

so my calculations are giving me 2v for V2??

Do you want to show this in detail please?

if no current passes through the node then it will pass back through R2, i think, so i worked out that 0.001Ax2000ohm=2v

##I_1 + I_2 + I_3 = 0## because they all flow into the junction and have nowhere to go.
Otherwise you could say ##I_3## and ##I_1## flow into the junction , so must go out through R2 and ##I_2 = -(I_3 + I_1)##
It all boils down to the same thing. So ##I_2 = -(0.0002 + 0.001)## or ##I_1 + 0.0002 + 0.001 = 0##

sorry to go over the same question because I am confusing myself. how do i get V2 then if the current is 0??

Well, if the voltage were 0V then the current would be 0 A and that would be ok.
But it isn't, because I2 is not 0.
##I_1+I_2+I_3\ =\ 0.001 +I_2 + 0.0002 =0##
So ## I_2 = - 0.001 - 0.0002 = - 0.0012##

so to work out the voltage we use ohms law that gives me -12v which doesn't seem right

gazp1988 said:
so to work out the voltage we use ohms law
Yes.
gazp1988 said:
that gives me -12v which doesn't seem right
I must say, I wish you wouldn't keep just giving answers without your working.
If ##I_2## is -0.0012 A, then Ohm's law gives ##V_2 = I_2 \times R_2 = -0.0012 \times 2k \ \ ## which is not -12V
BUT there is no reason why it should not seem right. The summing op amp can add both positive and negative signals.

-0.0012 x 2000 = -2.4= v=-2.4v
Vo = - RF ( V1 / R1 + V2 / R2 + V3 / R3)
vo= -10000(1/1000+-2.4/2000)= 2

2v =vo so it proves that the formula is correct i hope
thank you for your time

Yes, that's right.
Your original formula is ok, but refers to a 3 input summing circuit. And RF is your R3.

##V_o = -R_F(\frac{V_1}{R_1} + \frac{V_2}{R_2})\ \ ## is the correct formula to use here
So ##2 = -10k(\frac{1}{1k} + \frac{V_2}{2k}) \ \ =\ -10(1 + \frac{V_2}{2}) \ =\ -10 -5V_2##
So ##2 = -10 -5V_2## and ##12=-5V_2## and ##V_2 = -\frac{12}{5}\ \ = -2.4##

Your original error was in assuming that ##V_2## was 2V. There was no reason for that.
I'm not familiar with the formula, so I just looked at the circuit and saw what the currents were. Only when I worked it through for you, did I realize that the formula was applicable if you interpreted it correctly.
If you understand how this formula is derived and used, then it is fine to use it. But, if you have understood the steps we worked through, perhaps you'll have a better understanding of the circuit than you would get from just using the formula.

Edit: And BTW, I think you should try harder to set down your detailed working in your posts. It will help us to help you better.

thank you for your time and patience. I'm pretty new to the forum thing so in the future ill put more information down and show my calculations.
the original formula was one i found in my paper work but looking back, it seems it wasnt the right one to use.

the original formula was one i found in my paper work but looking back, it seems it wasn't the right one to use.
The formula is ok provided you understand how to use it
##V_O = - R_F ( \frac{V_1}{R_1} + \frac{V_2}{R_2} + ... )##
is the general formula for a summing op-amp circuit for 2 or more inputs. You can extend is for as many inputs as you like.
The ##R_F## is the negative feedback resistor and the others are the resistors for each input.
You just picked up the formula with 3 inputs and used it in a circuit where ##R_F## is labelled R3, which probably confused you.

The formula rearranges to
##\frac{V_O}{R_F} = - ( \frac{V_1}{R_1} + \frac{V_2}{R_2} + ... )## which represents
feedback current = - (input 1 current + input 2 current + ...) as I was trying to get you to work out

1. What is an opamp summing amplifier?

An opamp summing amplifier is a circuit that combines multiple input signals to produce a single output signal. It is commonly used in audio and instrumentation applications.

2. How do I find I1, I3, and V2 for a Vout of 2V?

To find I1, I3, and V2 for a Vout of 2V, you will need to use the summing amplifier equation: Vout = -(Rf/R1) * (V1 + V2 + V3). By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the individual input currents and voltage using the known values of Vout, Rf, and R1.

3. What is the purpose of a summing amplifier in a circuit?

The purpose of a summing amplifier is to combine and amplify multiple input signals to produce a single output signal. This is useful in situations where you need to combine different signals, such as in audio mixing or sensor applications.

4. How does the gain of the summing amplifier affect the output voltage?

The gain of the summing amplifier, determined by the ratio of Rf to R1, affects the output voltage by amplifying the sum of the input signals. A higher gain will result in a larger output voltage, while a lower gain will result in a smaller output voltage.

5. What are some common applications of an opamp summing amplifier?

Opamp summing amplifiers are commonly used in audio mixing, instrumentation, and signal processing applications. They are also used in circuit designs that require the combination of multiple input signals, such as in filter circuits or control systems.