Understanding Open and Closed Sets: Defining and Recognizing |z|<2

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open and closed sets and how they relate to the set {z : |z| < 2}. It is determined that the set is open as it does not include the boundary of the circle with a radius of two in the complex plane.
Fairy111

Homework Statement

For the following set state and justify:

i) whether or not it is open?

ii) whether or not it is closed?

{z||z|<2}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start on this question, i don't understand this topic at all and any help starting would be great.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what open and closed sets are?

well a set is closed if its complement is open.

i don't really know what open and closed is though.

Fairy111 said:
well a set is closed if its complement is open.

i don't really know what open and closed is though.
That's correct. Roughly speaking a set is closed if the set contains the boundary of that set.

For example, consider a set defining a sphere. If the set includes all points inside the sphere, as well as the surface, then the set is closed. However, if the set only contains point on the interior (i.e. inside) the sphere, but excludes the surface, the set is closed.

Similarly for the real axis, {x:0<x<1} is an open set since you can have all numbers between zero and one, but not including zero and one themselves. Conversely, {x: 0 ≤ x ≤ 1} is closed since x can take any value between zero and one, including zero and one themselves.

Do you follow?

A set Y is open if every point in Y is an interior point
A set Y is closed if every point in Y is an limit point

yes...i understand all of that. i don't really understand what the set {z||z|<2} actually means though.

Fairy111 said:
yes...i understand all of that. i don't really understand what the set {z||z|<2} actually means though.
In words it means the set of all z such that the magnitude of z is less than one. Geometrically, what does this set look like in the complex plane?

did you mean to say the magnitude of z is less than two?

then in the complex plane it would be a circle? with radius two? or would it have to be less than two?

Fairy111 said:
did you mean to say the magnitude of z is less than two?
Yes I did, thanks.
Fairy111 said:
then in the complex plane it would be a circle? with radius two? or would it have to be less than two?
You're on the right lines, the set contains all points in the complex plane who's magnitude is less than two. So yes, this does look like a circle of radius two, but the question is: does the set include the boundary (i.e. the points on the circumference) of the circle?

the set wouldn't include the boundary, due to |z|<2, which means that the set is open.

Fairy111 said:
the set wouldn't include the boundary, due to |z|<2, which means that the set is open.
Sounds good to me :approve:

So the set {z : |z| < 2} describes the interior of a circle with radius two.

1. What is the definition of an open set?

An open set is a set of points in a metric space that does not include its boundary points. In other words, for every point in an open set, there exists a neighborhood around that point that is also contained within the set.

2. How is an open set different from a closed set?

A closed set includes its boundary points, while an open set does not. Additionally, a closed set is the complement of an open set, meaning that it contains all points not included in the open set.

3. How do you recognize if a set is open or closed?

To determine if a set is open or closed, you can look at its boundary points. If the set includes its boundary points, it is closed. If the set does not include its boundary points, it is open.

4. What does the notation |z|<2 mean?

This notation represents the absolute value of the complex number z being less than 2. This can be represented geometrically as a circle with a radius of 2 centered at the origin on the complex plane.

5. How can understanding open and closed sets be helpful in mathematics and science?

Understanding open and closed sets is important in various areas of mathematics and science, including topology, analysis, and probability theory. It allows for a more precise and rigorous definition of concepts such as continuity, convergence, and connectedness. Additionally, it can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in modeling physical systems or analyzing data.