1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open and metric

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

can someone help me to solve these problems in details??
    Consider A =(0,1)× R. Is A open w.r.t. the topology induced by the French railway metric in R2? how
    about B=(-1,1)× R???

2. The attempt at a solution
    I know A is open in the topology induced by d if and only
    if U is a union of metric balls. But for my questions here, how can I see that A is a union of metric balls?? should I take any x in A then exists r>0 s.t. B(x,r) is open in A?but now the French railway metric gives me 2 different cases, how to consider????

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

An obvious first thing to do is to describe the open balls. What do the open balls look like?

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    If I choose the centre be (1,1) and radius 1 to be the open ball then it is segment with length 2 , 45degree to x-axis and the midpoint of the segment is (1,1)

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Go on. Can you generalize this to other centers and radii?

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    Can I choose the radius of open ball be r=min{1-x1,x1} then for all x=(x1,x2) in A we have B(x,r) is contained in A so A is open??

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook