1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open circuit?

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    The statement, "when a resistor fails, it will normally open." is true.
    But I don't understand:
    when a resistor fails, doesn't that mean that the resistor doesn't work? so doesn't that mean that resistance=0=short circuit?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If a resistor burns out so that the counductive material is disrupted, then it is an open circuit with infinite resistance, i.e. conductance = 0.

If somehow, the resistor short circuits then it has no resistance (and it is then no longer a resistor).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    is a failed resistor one that has 0 resistance?

5. Oct 22, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A resistor is "failed" when it doesn't provide the amount of resistance it is rated to, whether it be too much or too little.

6. Oct 22, 2005 #5

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good point. Perhaps I can expand on that..
    Resistors are given a tolerance rating, which could be within 1%, 2%, 5%, or 10% of its nominal value. (You will see what I mean by following the link). If your resistor has a tolerance of 1% and it now measure more than that, it fails to meet its specification. Its a bad part and cannot be trusted to hold even its present measured value in a circuit.

asdf1 said, "when a resistor fails, it will normally open" . A resistor normally heats up as it conducts current. If the resistor is weakened or defective, that heat can cause the resistor to fuse open. Just like a real fuse, the resistor becomes an open circuit.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  7. Oct 23, 2005 #6
    i see! thanks!!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?