1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open, Closed, or neither?

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    Question 1

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}^k[/itex], where [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] is a Hilbert space. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{x : \sum_{i=1}^{k} |x_i| \leq 1 \right\}[/tex]

be a subset of [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]. Is the subset [itex]S[/itex] open, closed or neither?

Question 2

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{\frac{1}{n} : n\in \mathbb{N}\right\}[/tex]

be a subset of [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]. Is the subset [itex]S[/itex] open, closed or neither?

Question 3

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = \mathbb{C}^2[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{(z,0) : z\in \mathbb{C}\right\}[/tex]

Question 4

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = l^2[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{x : \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} |x_i|^2 < 1\right\}[/tex]

Question 5

Let [itex]\mathcal{H} = L^2([0,1])[/itex]. Then let

[tex]S = \left\{f : f(t) \neq 0 \, \forall \, t \in [0,1]\right\}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2
    Solution 1

Intuitively, this set is closed because it contains its own boundary.

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    Solution 2

We can write out the subset as

[tex]S=\{1, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{4}, \dots \}[/tex]

In set notation...

[tex]S = (0,1][/tex]

That is, S is neither open nor closed.

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4
    Solution 3

Since [itex] (z,0) = 0 \, \forall \, z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], then S is closed since the complement is open. ie since

[tex]\mathbb{C}^2 \backslash \left(S = \{0\}\right)[/tex] is open.

6. Jun 12, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? I would interpret (0, 1] as the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 (including 1 but not 0) not S.

Of course, it is true that the set is neither open nor closed. It is not open because a neighborhood of 1/n, a disk in the complex plane centered on 1/n will contain numbers not in the set. It is not closed because the sequence has limit point 0 which is not in the set. (If 0 were included, the set would be closed.)

7. Jun 12, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I may be misunderstanding your notation. It is true that S is closed because the complement of S is open.
    But I don't understand your saying (z, 0)= 0 . (z, 0) (for all complex z) is topologically equivalent to the complex plane in the same way that the x-axis, y= 0 (all points (x, 0)), is topologically equivalent to the real line.

And I really don't understand what you mean by [tex]\mathbb{C}^2 \backslash \left(S = \{0\}\right)[/tex]. What could S= {0} mean?

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    Ha. I dont know what I was talking about ??? You are right of course, and what you wrote is exactly what I was thinking...

I see. I wasnt sure what was meant by (z,0) - but from what you wrote I would guess that what the question means. I suppose I had a lucky guess then!?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?