1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open/closed set

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] are continuous functions, give examples to show that the set [itex]\{ (f(x),g(x)) : x\in\mathbb{R} \}[/itex] might or might not be closed in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Letting [itex]f(x)=g(x)=0[/itex] gives the set equal to [itex]\{ (0,0) \}[/itex], a singleton and singleton sets are closed.

What functions would make the set open?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a pretty trivial example. You should probably think about it a little more before someone just gives you the answer. Suppose f(x) and g(x) have a horizontal asymptote as x->inf. There's other ways it can fail to be closed as well, but that should get you started.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    Well if the functions have horizontal asymptotes they won't be continuous on the real line for a start.

If we take f(x) a constant function, what condition must g(x) satisfy in order that the set isn't closed?

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

One VERY IMPORTANT THING:

Open is NOT the same as "not closed".

You don't need to find a set that is open, you need to find a set that is not closed. These are completely different questions!!!!

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I said HORIZONTAL asymptote. Why do you think that means it wouldn't be continuous?

7. Nov 9, 2011 #6
    Sorry, of course it can be continuous.

Is the set [itex]\{ (0,x):x\in\mathbb{R} \}[/itex] not closed?

8. Nov 9, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't look closed to me. What do you think? Keep micromass's comment in mind too. A set that is 'not closed' doesn't have to be open.

9. Nov 9, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I changed my mind. I thought you were trying to write an open subsegment of a straight line. You're aren't, are you? Your set is the x-axis. It's closed in R^2. How would you show that?

10. Nov 9, 2011 #9
    I've just realised that I'm confusing 'open' and 'not closed'.

With [itex]f[/itex] a constant function, I need to find [itex]g[/itex] such that [itex]g(\mathbb{R})[/itex] is not closed. What is an example a function from R to R that isn't closed?

11. Nov 9, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you aren't going to try the horizontal asymptote suggestion???

12. Nov 9, 2011 #11
    [itex]g(x)=e^x[/itex].

Then [itex]\{(0,e^x) :x\in\mathbb{R} \}[/itex] is not closed is it?

13. Nov 9, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it isn't. Why isn't it closed?

14. Nov 9, 2011 #13
    The boundary of [itex]A = \{(0,e^x) : x\in \mathbb{R} \}[/itex] is [itex]\partial A =\{(0,0)\}[/itex] and [itex](0,0) \notin A[/itex] so [itex]A[/itex] doesn't contain all its boundary and is therefore closed.

15. Nov 9, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good answer! Except that the boundary of A is actually all of A AND (0,0). Every point in A is also a boundary point of A. But the critical thing is that (0,0) is on the boundary of A but not in A.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  16. Nov 9, 2011 #15
    Would you express the boundary as [itex]\partial A = A\cap \{(0,0)\}[/itex]?

17. Nov 9, 2011 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Certainly not, it's a union not an intersection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook