Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Foam Starting Help

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    I have installed the cfd software Open FOAM but it doesn't start. Can you help me?

open foam.png

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

Borg

Gold Member

From the message, it looks like it already is running. Some software will install itself as a Windows service with an auto-start configuration. That seems to be the case here.

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3
    What do you mean by "some software will install itself as a win service with an auto-start configuration"?

I think there should be a user-interface instead of that "dos screen".

Thank you.

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4

Borg

Gold Member

I haven't used that software so I can't say for sure what it should be doing. I looked around their web site and couldn't find an installation guide.

With respect to the Windows services, if you type 'services' in the Windows start menu, you will see the services that are running on your machine. These are programs that can run on your computer according to various settings. Some items will auto-start when you turn on your computer and stay running all of the time. You can change the behavior to manually start or disable a service entirely. Be careful with disabling though because you could brick your computer if you're not careful.

6. Mar 28, 2017 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

OpenFOAM runs on Windows inside a virtual Docker environment. I would guess that there is already an instance of Docker running.

7. Mar 29, 2017 #6
    Have you ever used this program? I spoke to my instructor today. He said that he hadn't used it but it was used from that black screen. But I cannot imagine a simulation program without a user interface? How can it be used with just commands?

Thank you.

8. Mar 30, 2017 #7

DrClaude

Welcome to the real world! While there are some "engineering" programs, such as COMSOL and ANSYS Fluent, that can do fluid dynamics, they are very expensive and don't always work for all cases. Then there are more "bare bones" programs lie OpenFOAM, that give you a lot of control over what you are doing, at the expense of having to forget working with a mouse.

To use OpenFOAM, you have to set up series of text files describing the problem you want to solve, and then you use the command line to run the calculation. It is best to try and find a sample problem that is very close to the one you want to solve and modify the input files accordingly, rather than trying to build everything from scratch.

I have a limited experience with OpenFOAM, and I have only used it on Linux, where it is native. I won't be of much help with the Windows implementation.

I think that @hilbert2 has some experience of CFD, so he may be able to help.

9. Mar 30, 2017 #8

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should check whether your university has acquired a license for COMSOL or a similar program for the students. Most of the programs that are used in actual research are command line applications that take some text file (containing values of parameters) as input and then produce other text files and/or sequences of images as output.

10. Mar 30, 2017 #9

Mark44

Caveat: I have never used this software, but I know how to search for documentation.
    Link to docs: https://pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net/project/openfoamplus/v1612+/UserGuide.pdf

In Chapter 3 of the docs in the link above, it says
    What I get from this is that OpenFoam is not a program per se, but a library that you can use to create a program (an application).
    The docs also say (emphasis added)
    Section 3.1 tells you the commands to use.

11. Mar 31, 2017 #10
    I think they haven't comsol but they have some others. But I want to ask about some free ones. Which of them are with interface instead of command line? I think Advanced Simulation Library is one with user interface. There is a list at the end of the link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMSOL_Multiphysics

Thank you.

12. Mar 31, 2017 #11

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ASL doesn't seem to have a GUI either. None of those are going to be simple to use, and honestly, the lack of graphical interface isn't actually the most important source of difficulty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted