1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open integration problem

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The relative velocity of two small spheres subjected to a constant force in a liquid is given by u = uo/f where f is the drag correction factor and u0 is the relative velocity of the spheres when they are far apart. The drag coefficient factor, f, is a function of (r/a) where a is the radius of each sphere and r is the center-to-center distance. Given the following data for the correction factor estimate the time at which it takes the spheres to travel apart from r=22 μm to r=32 μm when u0=1 mμ/s and a=10 μm
    using an appropriate open integration formula. (Hint: dt=dr/u )
    r/a: 2.1 2.5 3.0 3.5
    f: 4.03 1.72 1.37 1.24

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand the problem, can you explain what i should do firstly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's imagine for a second, that you were given the exact functional form of [itex]f\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)[/itex]....what would you do to find the time it takes the spheres to travel apart from r=22 μm to r=32 μm?

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    Re: integration problem

Can you give me the function which i should integrate, the problem is very complex and difficult to solve for me

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. May 2, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again, all I'm asking is that if I gave you [itex]f\left(\frac{r}{a}\right)[/itex]...what would you do to find the time it takes the spheres to travel apart from r=22 μm to r=32 μm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook