Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Intervals

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    Since we all agree that 1 = 0.999..., what does PF think the largest number in the open interval (0,1) is?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you think the smallest number in the interval is?

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Just because you can ask a question, doesn't mean there is an answer. (0,1) doesn't have a largest element. It's as simple as that.

5. Mar 15, 2013 #4
    I always imagined that the smallest number less than one was the infinitesimal 0.9...., but that cannot be, because that equals one. The only other answer I could come come up with was that only terminating decimals of the form 0.999...9 would be in the interval, but that's no good either.

I guess the smallest number would be of the form 0.000.....01 and it too would be non-terminating.

6. Mar 15, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But that number appears to terminate. Is there anything after the 1?

You are overthinking this. We agree that (0,1) does not contain 0. So suppose it has a minimum, call it M. This is a positive number. Then M/2 is a smaller positive number. This is a contradiction, so there is no minimum after all.

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The open interval (0, 1) has NO largest or smallest member. You cannot talk about "the form 0.000.....01 and it too would be non-terminating". If is non-terminating, it does not have a last digit so you cannot assert that it is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook