1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open-loop & Close-loop system

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, guys. I am watching this guy on youtube explaining block diagram of close and open loop system. While I understand how a close-loop transfer function is equals to C(s)/R(s) = G(s)/{1+G(s)H(s)}, I don't quite understand how the transfer function of an open-loop system equals B(s)/E(s) = G(s)H(s).
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5268/captureisk.jpg [Broken]
    Shot at 2012-07-23

2. Relevant equations
    (none)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought a transfer function is defined as the laplace transformation of a system output over the laplace transformation of a system input, which is C(s)/R(s). So why not the open loop transfer function equals C(s)/R(s) = G(s)? The feedback loop is disconnected, why we still need to take that into account? Or is he redefining the feedback as the output of the system, instead of C(s)? It so, it is a standard practice even outside his class? Thank you so much!

Edit:
    Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4hPVxZlrPU&feature=bf_next&list=PL5105727DD6E8DE98

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a matter of semantics, or nomenclature.You open the loop at the summing junction and look at the gain from the input R the output of H.

You have a good point, but that's the jargon and you have to go with the flow!

In studying the stability of the closed loop the open-loop transfer function is the prime tool for doing that.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    the 'open loop' transfer function is what you would get if you were to disconnect the feedback wire, where it is fed back to the input, and call the endpoint your 'output'. (i hope that's not too convoluted ..).

it is a very useful tool for analyzing the effect of the feedback on the positions of the closed loop poles, which control the stability and dynamic behavior of the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook