1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Loop Response

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1

I have the equation G(s)=C(s)/M(s)=10e^(ts)/s+3 and I have to find the open loop response c(t) with a unit step which is 1/s

The explanation in the Text book is quite confusing, does anyone know if there are easier explanations like worked exampled on the internet so I can work though then solve this equation

Thanks for your help
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Have you studied Laplace Transforms?

if so, then you can get the Laplace transform of the response by multiplying the transfer function of the system - which you have - with the LT of your input - a unit step, which has transform 1/s.

Then you need to take the inverse transform of this, which will yield the response (with respect to time). To do this you'll probably need to make use of a partial fraction expansion.

I don't know any good websites with examples of this though, sorry.
  4. Mar 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help I have since worked though and found an answer, whether its correct or not that is another story. If anyone understands Laplace transforms my answers are attached, if you can have a look and see if i am wrong or right,

The question I have done is a little different to the above G(s)=C(s)/M(s)=5e^-(ts)/s+5 and I have to find the open loop response c(t) with a unit step which is 1/s.

My answers are attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. Mar 19, 2010 #4

I got:

[tex]c(t) = u(t-T) - u(t-T)e^{-5(t-T)}[/tex]

where u(t) is the Heaviside step function, and the T is the constant 't' in your transfer function (I changed it to a big T since it's a bit dodgy to use the same symbol for two different things)

i.e. I took:

[tex]G(s) = e^{-Ts}\frac{5}{s+5}[/tex]

Though I didn't take much care over it, so I'm not sure I'm correct. The Heaviside function will almost certainly be in your answer though, since there's a time delay in the transfer function.

I'd recommend going and looking up the t-shifting theorem for Laplace Transforms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook