1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open mappings

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex](X,||\cdot||)[/itex] be a normed vector space and suppose that [itex]Y[/itex] is a closed vector subspace of [itex]X[/itex]. Show that the map [itex]||x||_1=\inf_{y \in Y}||x-y||[/itex] defines a pseudonorm on [itex]X[/itex]. Let [itex](X/Y,||\cdot||_1)[/itex] denote the normed vector space induced by [itex]||\cdot||_1[/itex] and prove that the canonical projection [itex]\phi:X \rightarrow X/Y[/itex] is an open mapping.

2. Relevant equations

All vector spaces are over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have been able to show that [itex]||\cdot||_1[/itex] is a pseudonorm, but I am having difficulty showing the canonical projection is an open mapping. Obviously we need to take [itex]U[/itex] open in [itex]X[/itex] and then take [itex][x] \in \phi(U)[/itex]. From here we need to construct an open neighborhood around [itex][x][/itex] which is contained in [itex]\phi(U)[/itex] but I am having difficulty doing this. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does the fact that [itex]x\in U[/itex] with [itex]U[/itex] open tell you? Based on what that gets you, you should be able to think of a candidate for the desired open neighbourhood containing [itex][x][/itex] and contained in [itex]\phi(U)[/itex].

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Well I know that there exists [itex]0 < \varepsilon[/itex] such that [itex]B(x,\varepsilon) \subseteq U[/itex]. But the problem I then have is that [itex]||\cdot||_1 \leq ||\cdot||[/itex] so I am having trouble finding a criterion with [itex]||x-y||_1 < \delta[/itex] implies [itex]||x-y|| < \varepsilon[/itex].

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We wish to prove that [itex]B_1(\varphi(x),\varepsilon)\subseteq \varphi(B(x,\varepsilon))[/itex]. We can take x=0 if we want.

So take [itex]z\in B_1(0,\varepsilon)[/itex], write out what that means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook