Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open set

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Prove if the following set is open

[tex]\displaystyle{A=\begin{cases}
    \vec{x}=(x_1,...,x_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n:x_n>0\\
    \end{cases}}[/tex] .

I have written the following proof and please correct me if i am wrong

Let : [tex]\displaystyle{\vec{x}\in A}[/tex]

Then we have : [tex]\displaystyle{\vec{x}=(x_1,...,x_n)}[/tex] with [tex]\displaystyle{x_n>0}[/tex]

Choose [tex]\epsilon[/tex] such that [tex]\displaystyle{0<\epsilon<x_n}[/tex] and then [tex]\displaystyle{B(\vec{x},\epsilon)\subseteq A}[/tex]

This happens because if [tex]\displaystyle{\vec{y}=(y_1,...,y_n)\in B(\vec{x},\epsilon)}[/tex] then [tex]\displaystyle{||\vec{y}-\vec{x}||<\epsilon}[/tex]

and [tex]\displaystyle{y_i\in\left(x_i-\epsilon,x_i+\epsilon\right)}[/tex]

Then we have [tex]\displaystyle{y_n\in\left(x_n-\epsilon,x_n+\epsilon\right)}[/tex] and thus [tex]\displaystyle{y_n>0}[/tex][/quote]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That makes no sense because there is no one number labeled "[itex]x_n[/itex]". What you mean to say is that [itex]\epsilon< min(x_n)[/itex].

Can you prove this? That is, after all the whole point of the exercise! In particular, what is the definition of [itex]||\vec{y}-\vec{x}||[/itex]?

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3

Yes you right,how about the inequality: [tex]\displaystyle{0<\epsilon<x_k, \forall 1\le k \le n}[/tex].

But i think the center point of the problem is that:

[itex]|x_{i}-y_{i}|\leq ||x_{i}-y_{i}||<\epsilon[/itex] using the Euclidian norm

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook