Proving the Open Sets Theorem for Metric Spaces

In summary, the theorem presented by Munkres states that a subset A of a subspace Y is open in Y if and only if it can be expressed as the intersection of an open subset U in the original metric space X and the subspace Y. This can be proven by considering the open balls of Y and showing that they are also open in X. However, it is important to note that open sets in the topological space X are not necessarily open in the subspace Y, as exemplified by sets that are open in Y but not in X. Open balls are a useful tool in defining open sets in metric spaces, but they do not necessarily translate to topological spaces.
Buri
I'm reading Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres and in the section Review of Topology Munkres states the following theorem without proof:

Let X be a metric space; let Y be a subspace. A subset A of Y is open in Y if and only if it has the form A = U ∩ Y where U is open in X.

All he has defined is a metric space, subspace, B(y;ε) = {x|d(x,y) < ε} which is the ε neighborhood of y. And he defined open sets to be: A subset U of X is said to be open in X if for each y ∈ U there is a corresponding ε > 0 such that B(y;ε) is contained in U.

I have never taken Topology or even read about it, so I wrote a proof for it which I'm not sure is correct. Here it is:

Since A is open then for x0 ∈ A there exists an ε > 0 such that B(x0;ε) is in A. Further, B(x0;ε) is open (I've proved this already). Now taking the union of all such ε neighborhoods of x's in A also produces and open set (I've also proved this). Therefore, letting U = U B(x; ε) proves this direction as clearly, A = U B(x;ε) ∩ Y.

(⇐)

A = U ∩ Y

This means that any x ∈ A is also in U and Y. Therefore, since x ∈ U, which is open, there exists B(x; ε) in U. But I want the open ball to be in A so letting ε' = ε and then B'(x;ε') = B(x;ε)∩Y. However since B(x;ε) is in U, then B'(x;ε') is in U∩Y which is A.

Am I on the right track? Btw, what if I have a metric X, and a closed set Y in X and then I choose U to be open and not entirely in Y but entirely in X. I define A to be U∩Y, but then A isn't open since it contains part of the boundary of Y. What am I not understanding? And if X is a metric space and Y a subspace, if A is open in Y, does it necessarily imply that A is open in X also?

I'd appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Buri said:
I'm reading Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres and in the section Review of Topology Munkres states the following theorem without proof:

Let X be a metric space; let Y be a subspace. A subset A of Y is open in Y if and only if it has the form A = U ∩ Y where U is open in X.

It may be intended as a definition. Given a subset Y of a metric space X there are two routes to defining a topology on it.

(i) metric space X -> topological space X -> topological subspace Y.
(ii) metric space X -> metric subspace Y -> topological subspace Y.

In (i) the open sets for the topological subspace Y are defined as the sets U ∩ Y where U is open in the topological space X.

The final topology on Y is the same via either route which is what you're proving. The proof looks OK (but would be clearer if you made a separate notation such as BY(y;ε)=B(y;ε)∩Y for the open spheres in Y).

The open spheres in the metric space X are not necessarily open spheres in the metric subspace Y nor vice versa. Also if B(x;ε) means the open sphere in X with centre x and radius ε, then B(y;ε)∩Y is an open sphere in Y if y∈Y, but B(x;ε)∩Y is not necessarily an open sphere in Y.

Last edited:
I just read your penultimate paragraph more carefully. What you seem to be misunderstanding is that open sets in the topological space X are not necessarily open sets in the topological space Y nor vice versa. The example you give is open in Y but not in X. (Which also answers your last question).

Thanks for your help. I was reading up on topologies on a set X a bit and I feel like I understand how it is possible for something to be open in Y but not in X (if Y is a subspace of X). So open sets are relative to their universe so to speak. However, it seems like the balls B(y;ε) = {x|d(x,y) < ε} are not really dependent on the set they're in. As the proof that B(y;ε) is open (Munkres asks the reader to prove it) follows from the triangle inequality which is part of the definition of a metric and so, they're always open. So why is it that B(y;ε) seems to be special? Is there a reason why we prove sets are open by using these open balls?

Sorry if these are just dumb questions...

Last edited:
Consider [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] as a metric space (with [itex]d_{\mathbb{R}}(x,y)=|x-y|[/itex] for [itex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]). Then [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is a metric subspace (with metric [itex]d_{\mathbb{Q}}(p,q)=d_{\mathbb{R}}|_{\mathbb{Q}\times\mathbb{Q}}(p,q)=|p-q|[/itex]).

But [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\in B_\mathbb{R}(0;1)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex], so [itex]B_\mathbb{R}(0;1)[/itex] is not an open ball in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Similarly [itex]B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)[/itex] can't be [itex]B_\mathbb{R}(x,r)[/itex] for any [itex]x\in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]r\in \mathbb{R}^+[/itex], because it would have to be
[tex]B_\mathbb{R}(\frac{\text{sup }B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)+\text{inf }B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)}{2};\frac{\text{sup }B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)-\text{inf }B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)}{2})=B_\mathbb{R}(0;1)[/tex]

but [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\in B_\mathbb{R}(0;1)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\notin B_\mathbb{Q}(0;1)[/itex].

Further [itex]B_\mathbb{R}(\sqrt{2};1)\cap\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is also not an open ball in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

We don't so much prove sets are open using open balls as define open sets in metric spaces using open balls, though of course to prove any particular set in a metric space is open we have to show the definition is satisfied. Open balls don't exist in a topological space where the topology is not derived from a metric.

Last edited:
Martin Rattigan said:
Open balls don't exist in a topological space where the topology is not derived from a metric.

I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain?

Just another question, I was trying to understand what a topology on a set X is and if I take X = R and have [tex] \tau [/tex] contains all subsets of X then this would be a topology for X, right? Topology on Munkres defines an open set in the following way, a subset U of X with topology [tex] \tau [/tex] is open in X if U is in [tex] \tau [/tex]. So with my example above, then sets which we normally call closed (like [a,b]) would then be called open? This is all because when we normally say (a,b) is open and [a,b] is closed we're using the [tex] \tau [/tex] which only has open sets in the "normal" sense?

You pretty much explained it yourself in the second paragraph.

If [itex]S[/itex] is a set of cabbages then [itex]\mathcal{P}(S)=\{O:O\subset S\}[/itex] is a topology on [itex]S[/itex]. It is unnecessary to define a distance function [itex]d_S(b,c)[/itex] between cabbages [itex]b,c\in S[/itex] in order to define the topology [itex]\mathcal{P}(S)[/itex]. If no such distance function is defined then the normal definition of [itex]B_S(c;r)[/itex] as [itex]\{b\in S:d_S(b,c)<r\}[/itex] becomes meaningless.

If [itex]S[/itex] is any set and [itex]B\subset\mathcal{P}(S)[/itex], then [itex]B[/itex] can be used to generate a topology on [itex]S[/itex] in the same way that the set of open balls generates a topology in a metric space. The open balls are meaningful only in metric spaces.

Last edited:
Ahh I get it now. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it :)

1. What is an open set in a metric space?

An open set in a metric space is a set of points in which every point has a neighborhood contained entirely in the set. This means that for any point in the open set, there exists a small radius around that point where all points within that radius are also in the set. In other words, there are no boundary points in an open set.

2. How do you determine if a set is open or closed in a metric space?

A set is considered open if every point in the set has a neighborhood contained entirely in the set. On the other hand, a set is considered closed if it contains all of its boundary points. In other words, a set is closed if it includes its boundary and all the points on its boundary. If a set is neither open nor closed, it is known as a semi-open or semi-closed set.

3. What is the difference between a metric space and a topological space?

A metric space is a type of topological space that has a defined metric or distance function, which is used to measure the distance between points. In a topological space, there is no specific distance function, but instead, the focus is on the structure and relationships between sets and their elements.

4. Can a set be open in one metric space and closed in another?

Yes, a set can be open in one metric space and closed in another. This is because different metric spaces can have different definitions and properties, which can affect the openness or closedness of a set. For example, a set may be open in a discrete metric space but closed in a Euclidean metric space.

5. How are open sets used in topology and analysis?

Open sets play a fundamental role in topology and analysis, as they are used to define important concepts such as continuity, convergence, and compactness. In topology, open sets are used to define the topological structure of a space, while in analysis, they are used to study the behavior of functions and sequences in a space.