Disjoint Open Sets: Spanning Intervals & Uncountable Infinities

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a continuous interval being spanned by a union of disjoint open sets. It is concluded that this is not possible, even if the collection of open sets is uncountable infinite. This applies to both closed and open intervals, as well as non-disjoint sets. The reason for this is that an open interval is connected and cannot be a nontrivial disjoint union of open sets.
Bob3141592
Am I correct in thinking that the union of disjoint open sets cannot span a continuous interval? Assume that each of the sets is a proper subset of the interval. Does this apply even if the collection of open sets is uncountable infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in thinking that, as long as the interval is closed of course. In fact, you cannot even do it with non-disjoint sets. Otherwise, it would mean that the set [0, 1] is open in R (see the properties of a topology).

For an open interval, it is trivial, e.g. ]0, 1[ is spanned by a single disjoint open set.

What about this: Can a single open interval be spanned by two or more nontrivial disjoint open subsets of the interval?

CRGreathouse, the answer seems to be quite trivially "no". So probably I am missing here, and my guess the problem is in the word "span".

What exactly is meant by "spanning" in this context?

I wouldn't call it trivial.
Still, not too difficult - note that the interval between any two disjoint open intervals is a closed interval. So the problem reduces to the case of a closed bounded interval, which is compact.

CompuChip said:
CRGreathouse, the answer seems to be quite trivially "no". So probably I am missing here, and my guess the problem is in the word "span".

What exactly is meant by "spanning" in this context?

First of all, I have no interest in the answer -- I just thought this may have been the question intended (though not written!) by the OP.

But I simply meant for the union of the subsets to be the full set. I agree that this appears trivially impossible.

An open interval can't be a nontrivial disjoint union of open sets because it's connected.

morphism said:
An open interval can't be a nontrivial disjoint union of open sets because it's connected.

of course, that's the simple answer:)

1. What are disjoint open sets?

Disjoint open sets are sets in a topological space that do not have any elements in common and are both open. This means that there is a positive distance between any two points in each set, and there are no points that are contained in both sets.

2. How are disjoint open sets related to spanning intervals?

Disjoint open sets play a crucial role in defining and understanding spanning intervals. In fact, a set of disjoint open sets can be used to construct a spanning interval, which is a connected subset of a topological space that contains all the points between two given points.

3. Can disjoint open sets be uncountable?

Yes, disjoint open sets can be uncountable. In fact, there are many examples of uncountable sets of disjoint open sets, such as the set of all open intervals on the real line.

4. How do disjoint open sets relate to uncountable infinities?

Disjoint open sets are often used to construct uncountable infinities. By using a set of disjoint open sets, we can create a larger set that is uncountable. This is because the union of a set of disjoint open sets is also an open set, and the union of uncountably many open sets is an uncountable set.

5. Why are disjoint open sets important in topology and analysis?

In topology and analysis, disjoint open sets are important because they help us define and understand important concepts such as continuity, connectedness, compactness, and convergence. They also play a crucial role in constructing more complex sets and understanding the structure of topological spaces.