1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Source Solaris

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I don't know what Sun is thinking but they have decided to open source solaris:

http://news.com.com/'Open+Source+Solaris'+to+debut+this+year/2100-7344_3-5364052.html

What I'm wondering is how they are going to get through all the legal issues involving UNIX(tm).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

This will finally give x86 Solaris a chance.

I don't know of any possible legal issues that might arise. I don't think Sun claims that Solaris is UNIX. In fact, the Linux kernel has many features that allow AT&T SVR4 binary compability. Linux, unlike BSD's, also has a very System 5ish-like features (init.d and such). You don't see anybody suing (except SCO) the Linux developers (not that a centralized orgainzation to sue exists, anyways). I remember reading somewhere that SGI owned the UNIX trademark for awhile, I imagine OG owns it now.

Open sourcing a real UNIX, shouldn't be an issue. Solaris is just complying with all the standards, POSIX, XPG3, which aren't propiertary. If Solaris does contain some private code, from AT&T for example, they'll have plenty of time to weed it out before they release "Open Source Solaris."

Solaris is starting to look *very* promising (for x86, at least).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?