Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Open Style University

  1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    Are there any other open style universities within the US?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2


    User Avatar

    What's a open style university?
  4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    Open/distance learning maybe?
  5. Sep 13, 2006 #4
    Sorry, I failed to describe what data I want correctly. I am curious if any universities in the US are similar to Open University from the UK.
  6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    The Open University allows you to complete a degree via distance learning. There are a number of courses in each subject, and you must complete a certain number of courses to gain your degree. (And if you want an honours degree, you must attend a certain number of 'residential weeks', where you spend a week in the labs of a brick uni).

    I am currently studying for a BSc in Physics with them, and the quality of the material is superb. In fact, the Open University is in the top 4 universities in the UK for results and quality of teaching, but doesn't appear in any league tables as it is classed as a 'part time' university).

    Anyway, that's enough of me extolling its virtues. With regards to your question - I'm not sure if there is anything similar in the US!
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  7. Sep 14, 2006 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    There are many classes at the UK's Open University which don't require any classroom or lab time at all -- you could complete them entirely via the internet, from anywhere in the world.

    - Warren
  8. Sep 15, 2006 #7
    Hi Warren.

    Indeed there are many courses that only require coursework and no lab work, but I'm sure it says you can only study with the OU if you live in Europe. I may be wrong though!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook