Open subset of a perfect set.

• Thread starter kostas230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, an open subset is a subset of a set that contains all its limit points, while a perfect set is a set that is equal to its set of limit points. A perfect set can have an open subset as long as the open subset also contains all the limit points of the perfect set. To determine if a subset is open, all its points must have a neighborhood contained entirely within the subset. And finally, an open subset of a perfect set can also be closed if it is equal to its set of limit points.
kostas230
Suppose we have a perfect set [itex]E\subset\mathbb{R}^k[/itex]. Is there an open set [itex]I\subset E[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm rusty at this. However, I understand that a closed interval is a perfect set. Take the closed unit cube in Rk, drop all boundary points leaving an open unit cube.

Sometime's it's true (like mathman's example), and sometimes it's false. For example the Cantor set is a perfect set but contains no open interval inside of it

Likes 1 person
Yeah, I just found out that. Thank you :)

Yes, it is possible for there to be an open subset I of a perfect set E. This is because a perfect set is defined as a set that is equal to its set of limit points, meaning that every point in E is a limit point of E.

Furthermore, an open set is a set where every point has a neighborhood contained within the set. Therefore, if we take any point x\in E, we can find a neighborhood around x that is contained within E, making it an open set.

In summary, since every point in E is a limit point, we can construct a neighborhood around each point that is contained within E, making it an open subset of E.

What is an open subset?

An open subset is a subset of a set that contains all its limit points, meaning that every point in the subset has a neighborhood contained entirely within the subset.

What is a perfect set?

A perfect set is a set that is equal to its set of limit points, meaning that every point in the set is a limit point.

Can a perfect set have an open subset?

Yes, a perfect set can have an open subset as long as the open subset also contains all the limit points of the perfect set.

How do you determine if a subset is open?

A subset is open if all its points have a neighborhood contained entirely within the subset.

Can an open subset of a perfect set be closed?

Yes, an open subset of a perfect set can also be closed. This occurs when the open subset is equal to its set of limit points, making it a perfect set itself.